1 - 3 Star alignment

Hi SGL team. I'm just enquiring if anyone can send me in the right direction to learn more about star alignment. I am planning on using align master at some point and I read on the FAQ section is is necessary to do a one star alignment. I am not exactly to sure how to do this but I'm positive its online somewhere for me to read up on. 

I expect that "one star alignment" is simply a case of the scope having some idea where it is pointed.

If you use say Deneb as the "one star" then the scope needs to know that it is aimed at Deneb, then if you request Vega it has some idea how much right a bit and down a bit to move.

One star alignment is heavily dependant of getting the mount as flat and level as possible, since you are not going between 2 or 3 stars the software cannot determine the amount front/back ot left/right tilt that is present and add in a compensation.

On a Skywatcher (Celestron?) I think you would have to aim at one star somewhere, on a Meade you don't what they in effect have is a "virtual" star that is defined as horizontal and level - so in effect a virtual star with those criteria, but ultimately the same.

In either case it is an initial start set of coordinates.

Bit like driving to Edinburgh, you need to know where you are starting from. For me it is Join A1 drive, North for 5 hours, for you those instructions are meaningless. In both instances it is necessary to know the starting location. Hence you align i=on one star and the scope has a start location.

Star alignment on a scope is basically a GPS triangulation system so the scope knows where it is on the planet and then it will find any object listed in the scopes database. One star alignment is the weakest one to use as you are only giving the scope a single reference point (1 bright star). Two star alignment is better because it has two bright stars to reference and pin down your observing location. Three star alignment is the best because it is giving the scope a complete set of 3 bright stars to triangulate your position. 

To do a star alignment, i'm sure most scopes use the same method (i may be wrong):

You have to pick a star (a big bright one you are familiar with) and get it centred in the finder. Then you slew (move) the scope using the keypad while looking through the eyepiece until that same star is also centred in your view. Then you should be locked on and may have to follow on screen directions. 

Some systems (i use celestron scope) allow you to do a solar system alignment. In this case you can align the scope to a planet or the Moon and the scope will tract the object over however long you are using the scope that night. You can move the scope manually also then to find other objects. 

Basically the best way to align a scope is by using the 3 star alignment system, it is as easy as a one star alignment and really doesnt take much longer.

Hope this helps.

Archived