NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Is a clear filter necessary for luminance?

brainy

Seems like a basic question but my search has been fruitless. When taking luminance, do I have to use a clear filter or can I use no filter at all? Would not using a clear filter damage the CCD or something of the sort?

I have heard that bright moonlight or similar objects can have a slight effect on camera sensors but it doesnt seem to get brought up much as far as i'm aware. Faint objects like nebula shouldn't be a problem though.

As for luminance the usual filter is the IR-cut (sometimes IR/UV cut) and that is mostly to keep infra-red from affecting the sharpness due to it coming to focus slightly differently to visible wavelengths, but if your camera doesn't already have a IR filter over the sensor - many do - the issue mostly concerns refractors and other glass elements, newtonians i believe dont suffer as much if any problems from it.

Hope this helps, with luck someone should be along who has experience in the matter :p

Regards,

Aenima

Hi

I think the purpose of a clear luminance filter is to keep the optical path the same so that you don't have to adjust focus when taking luminance subs. Not that I've ever taken any myself but I believe that's the theory!

Louise

I had not thought about focus but that would make sense! 

Archived