NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Atik 490EX with ED80

I'm trying to work out if the Atik 490EX would be suitable for use with my ED80 which is what I will be using for imagining or if I should be looking at another CCD, my other scope us a C9.25.

I've tried to download the field of view calculator, but my laptop is not well so using my Mac and it will not download.

Just after a bit of advice if the 490EX would be a good match with the ED80 and give a good field of view for most DSOs and if it would also be suitable with the C9.25 with maybe a focale reducer?

I'm trying to work out if the Atik 490EX would be suitable for use with my ED80 which is what I will be using for imagining or if I should be looking at another CCD, my other scope us a C9.25.

I've tried to download the field of view calculator, but my laptop is not well so using my Mac and it will not download.

Just after a bit of advice if the 490EX would be a good match with the ED80 and give a good field of view for most DSOs and if it would also be suitable with the C9.25 with maybe a focale reducer?

Using a 0.85X reducer with the ED 80 and the 490 EX you'd get the main body of the M42 or about 3/5th of the M31 in the FOV. Some of the larger nebulae may not  fit in the FOV. Pixel wise is perfect. With the C9.25 you may need to Bin the Data if you go for a Mono version. You may consider the 460 instead.

A.G

Thanks lensman57! So would the 460 be a better fit for my scopes or is it very close between the two? Yes thinking of the mono version!

They have the same size chip with the 460 having larger pixels than 490 and in thory atleast having a greater dynamic range. The 490 could be binned 2X2 to increase senitivity and still have a decent resolution . This is not so simple and straight forward but it gives you a rough idea. A while back I had the same dilemma so in the end I went for a 383L+ which is lot less sensitive than a 460 but has a much larger sensor so for me atleast the FOV won the day in the end.

A.G

I have the same chip as the 490 and I use it with 330mm and also I've used it with the C9.25. I used to bin the data on the C9.25. I have found this to be a versatile chip and I am glad that I got it ............. previously I was using the 460.

Archived