Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What kit for £1k or less

I'm looking to get into astronomy and test the water a bit to see if it is worth while me getting a pro bit of kit.

I would like to spend around £1k and see with reasonable clarity some of the planets and some large deep space objects. Photography of these would be nice as well, I have a canon dslr.

Ive looked at meade LX90's on ebay 2nd hand around £1k. I've also looked at dobs at around £600+

Whats what though, there seem many choices and I have too little information, what should i be getting?!

Thanks.

Hi and welcome to the lounge, the best place on the web.

To help you with your decision have a look here:- http://www.wwnorton.com/college/astronomy/astro21/sandt/startright.html

Be aware that visual observing and astro photography, especially of deep space objects, are different aspects of this hobby and really have completely different needs as far as kit is concerned.

Good luck and keep asking questions, the good people here are sure to give good advice.

you`ll get bombarded with lots of suggestions about kit, be if your thinkijng of doing astro photography you`ll need a equatorial mount which will take a large amount of your budget, HEQ5 about £500 second hand, NEQ6 about £700 second hand.

then scope choices, again no one scope is really good for all but maybe a 6" sct might cover all bases, Planetary and dso and visual.

dobs are best bang for buck but not the best for imaging with i`m afraid.  

Archived