Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Celestron 10x50 Upclose G2 Porro Binoculars

My new Celestron 10x50 Upclose G2 Porro binos were delivered today and fortunately for me the sky is clear in Manchester tonight.

The moon was rather stunning and you even make out the illuminated ridge of a crator on the lunar terminator.

Here are some of the specs:

Angular field of view: 6.8deg

Optical Coatings: Multi-coated

Prism Glass: BK7

I was quite pleased with the views, especially when compared to my dad's old 100x50 zoom binos. I would now like to purchase a mount to steady the view and I think a monopod is the way to go. I have been reading the BinocularSky webpage on how to hold binoculars steady, but I think the only way to stop the shaking is with a mount.

I bought the binos for ₤27 from Amazon. Jessops were charging ₤45. So I think the Uplose G2 are good, entry level binoculars. When considering more expensive binos in the price range above ₤100, how much of an improvement does fully Multi-coated optics and BaK-4 prisms make?

Alex

This is very much what each individual can see, as everyone's eyes do vary, however, the more you pay for quality bins there should be a marked change in the clarity of the field of view, compared to general run of the mill basic models. once you start to evaluate expensive types though, then the changes can be more subtle, the most expensive ones can be in a league of their own. For example I have old 10x50 Swift Tecnar, 15x70 Celestron and 10x50 Adlerblick. The Adlerblics were my last purchase some years back, spoken of in "The Backyard Astronomers Guide" Dickinson and Dyer, as middle of the road priced bins, excellent for Astronomical use. In practice the Adlerblics have revealed on some nights 4 of Jupiter's Moons, whereas only three have been visible in the 15x70 Celestrons. The tecnars are average, good for terrestrial use and average for night use, none can compare to the Adlerblics. If you are thinking of expensive bins, then it is best to try them out first :)

I want to get the most out of my current set of bins with a monopod before investing in more expensive ones. I intend to pay a visit to the local astronomy group and see the equipment other people are using. I may even decide to go for a telescope rather than posh bins.

I'm just getting familair with the star constellations. With the October sky, I can recognise Ursa Major, Ursa Minor, Cassiopeia, Perseus, Cygnus, Pegasus [square only] and the summer triangle. The evening moon is currently prohibiting views of other constellations. I am able to see the Pleiades and I want a monopod to obtain a steady view of them.

I'm interested in the most local stars to Sol. I need to compile a list of such stars that can be seen at 51deg North latitude.

Alex

Archived