EQ3 SynScan again........

Finally got the AZ unit powered up....... Using a computer network cable instead of the provided one. After putting Long. and Lat. into the handset, trying to press 'ENTER' and nothing happens. Have been reading everything I can find about this item, but have reach a dead end. Guess the cable I'm using need some modification. The one provided in the kit had RJ45 in one end and DB9 in the other end, left hand control completely dead, at least now I've got light in the hand control. Anyone?

Update, if I leave the suggested position by pressing 'ENTER', it is possible to add time, time zone etc and access to the rest of the system is OK. But no location. My location is 060 94 W 14 47 N. Pressing 'ENTER' sends the cursor back to the 9 and flashing. Coordinates according to my GPS, but maybe not correct?

Your coordinates are incorrect. GPS coordinates are in degrees and decimals whereas the handset requires the coordinates in the format of degrees and minutes. The minutes component cannot be greater than 59, therefore the handset won't except numbers greater than that. The coordinates should be 060 56W 14 28N

Usually what happens is the handset/scope uses the last location that it was supplied with. They do not request a location during the "normal" setup of the scope.

You may have to search through the menu tree for the handset and find out where it is entered.

However I thought that the Synscan system displayed the location and asked you to confirm it at start up.

Having said this I would have thought that when it requested/asked the timezone that that request was part of the location entry.

Coordinates look correct, sounds like one device uses decimal and the other wahts degrees and minutes.

I am guessing that timezone is -5 (???), DST I have no idea if Martinique operates DST or not, likely do but other parts of the world do not especially those close to the equator.

Really the best I can suggest is that you collect together all the data (you seem to have it anyway) and reenter the location data so that you know what is in the system and go from there. There will be a Reset option and that would clear everything out and mean you had to resupply the data.

Will say not sure about the cable, I cannot see Synscan using a standard cable, they usually incorporate some sort of crossover so that you have to purchase their item. So maybe search to internet for details of the Synscan cable.

Solved :-) Changed from decimals to minutes and seconds. Violá :-)

AZ is the handset while EQ3 is the motor controller, connected with a cabel. Vendor gave me one with a RJ45/DB9. No communication between units. Changed cabel to a pc network cable. Fixed.

I pretty sure my system don't have the last version. Don't have any computers with a serial port here, but maybe my 2002 HP laptop stored back in Norway has one.... So no firmware updates for the moment.

Yepp, looks like I have to update firmware. Tried the system yesterday, and the RA engine didn't move at all, while the DEC motor went turning the scope like forever. And after alignment, the direction of the scope was complete wrong.

Also, I live at 14° north, but I watch mostly objects to the south. The counterweights seems to be in way while facing the tripod N in the northern direction, while watching the southern hemisphere.... Ideas? 

Need to get a serial/USB adapter, gonna look for it over the week-end.

Archived