Baader MKiii CC not working

Andy Milner

Louise that is my next step. I aligned the Reticle perfectly the other day and I can now get 240 seconds unguided with no star trails. So Next step is guiding. I already have a spare QHY5L-II now I've replaced that with a ASI120MC-S for planetary imaging. So the QHY5L-II will fit in my finderscope, I've purchased an adaptor for it to help it fit ( I hope )

Will go for PHD2, AstroTortilla next.

P.S. That's on a HEQ5 mount by the way.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Louise that is my next step. I aligned the Reticle perfectly the other day and I can now get 240 seconds unguided with no star trails. So Next step is guiding. I already have a spare QHY5L-II now I've replaced that with a ASI120MC-S for planetary imaging. So the QHY5L-II will fit in my finderscope, I've purchased an adaptor for it to help it fit ( I hope )

Will go for PHD2, AstroTortilla next.

P.S. That's on a HEQ5 mount by the way.

Hiya

Excellent! 240s unguided is remarkable! I've got 180s with the AVX but it tracks better than my Heq5 which I think needs a stripdown...

It helps if you have a short nosepiece for the qhy5l-ii. If you bought it fairly recently, it should have come with one. The reason is that the adapter substitutes for the finder's eyepiece and you only need a short distance to the sensor to achieve focus. This is easier to get with a short nosepiece. PHD2 and Astrotortilla are good - and free! Some people go for SGP - Sequence Generator Pro but free software is quite satisfying :)

All the best

Louise

Louise.
I bought this finder guider adaptor from Modern Astronomy recommended as perfect for the 9x50 finderscope in my 200p. In the photo I have placed the qhy5l-II in there to show you. I did not get a nose piece as far as I remember/ know.
9c99d5eb035d6173c7f91a41798e1867.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi wxsatuser I get the same level of coma on all my images and at every length of exposure. There maybe some level of trailing but even with no trailing it's always the outer edges that are eggy. Also notice how the coma is bending the larger stars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coma should look like a comet, a diffused tail and a bright head, yours appear to be a solid head that has trailed.

In theory there should be no coma near the centre unless your collimation is out.

I'm no expert but I think something else is going on thats more than coma.

The proof will be if you experiments cure it, hope they do, as these things get very frustrating.

Ahh okay, That sounds possible. Could you look at this. This is from last night... a 60 second exposure of M37 Cluster. There is nice round stars in middle and movement at edges. What do you think? It's about the best tracking i managed during the wind. Full Moon last night so was out testing stuff. :)

M37_LIGHT_60s_800iso_27c_00774stdev_2014

Hi again

Bearing in mind you are only doing short exposures it doesn't look anywhere as bad as in your previous image. Obviously with the cc present it should be different compared to no cc. See this: http://starizona.com/acb/basics/equip_optics101_coma.aspx

Ah, Modern Astronomy are obviously selling better adapters than the one Bern sold me earlier in the year - lucky you! The nosepiece is the end of the camera with the window in it. It unscrews but don't unless you have to!

Louise

Archived