Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Help with configuration jigsaw

bobmoss

I'm tearing my hair out trying to figure out the "perfect" setup combination and hoping you wise people can help.

I've currently got an LX200 which has an ADM MDS rail on the top and bottom. I have an MDS camera mount so I can attach my DSLR to the top of the LX200 and I also have the counterweights.

I have just purchased an NEQ6 Pro and have an Altair Wave 80ED on it's way (the wave has a Vixen dovetail bar attached). I am also going to buy an ST80 as a guide scope and a short vixen bar for that.

I've also got an ADM vixen side-by-side mount (vixen dovetail bar with a vixen saddle at each end) and an ADM Dual Vixen/Losmandy side by side mount (Losmandy plate with a dual saddle at each end).

Are you with me so far.... :grin:

First up, I'm going to use one of the Dual ADM sadles to replace the stock saddle on the NEQ6. Then, I'm going to use a Vixen saddle on the Losmandy plate to replace the Dual saddle.

This will mean I can use the Losmandy side by side for the 80ED and the ST80. Nice and simple.

However, I would also like to use the ST80 on top of my LX200 as a guide scope, preferably without removing the rings and Vixen bar.

I also want to be able to remove the 80ED and put a DSLR in it's place on the NEQ6 (and therefore use the ST80 for guiding the DSLR).

So, I need a combination of adapters, bars and bits and pieces that can allow me to have all that with the least amount of cost and fuss. And it all needs to be as sturdy as possible to reduce any flex.

There is probably a simple solution to this jigsaw but at the moment I just can't see it!

So I've been thinking about this a bit more. At the moment the best I can come up with is to remove the MDS rail off the top of the LX200 and replace it with a vixen rail. Then buy a couple of ADM Vixen Female-Female adapters.

I'm just worried that they might not be sturdy enough.

The alternative is to get a couple of MDS adapter clamps and attach the spare vixen clamp to these but I think that will add a bit too much weight.

Archived