NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Moonraker Telescopes

F15Rules

I attended the Astro Exhibition in Leamington Spa back in June 2014 and met Mark Turner of Moonraker Scopes. I'd heard of his scopes and seen pictures, and he had some lovely examples on his stand. I'd also heard anecdotally that he was an approachable type and a scope enthusiast himself, who was willing to look at taking on relatively small commission work.

We got chatting and I discussed with him my recently acquired D&G F15 5" refractor, how I love it and how the only thing I might change about it is the focuser. It's a Japan built standard rack and pinion, not at all a bad focuser, and in it's day probably seen as really rather good. But of course times have moved on and now we have some fabulous kit to choose from.

During our conversation Mark asked if I'd consider fitting a Moonlite crayford dual speed unit. I said I had, but was put off by the fact that a new ota tube backplate could be needed to accommodate a modern focuser, and that I didn't have the knowledge to do this myself or the funds to pay a high price to have it done professionally. We exchanged contact details and I emailed Mark about a week after the exhibition to ask him to quote for supplying, machining a new back plate, and also to supply a Moonlite Refractor crayford with shaft lock.

I sent Mark the old focuser to use as a pattern for the new plate to be made etc and it then took several weeks while the plate was on order from the USA, along with a focuser. To my delight, Mark supplied a highly polished Moonlite in aluminium with a superb matching backplate and stainless steel screws, self tapping to fit the original USA thread.

I am delighted with the results, and the price of the job was very fair. All along the way Mark's communication was regular, relevant and constructive. I'd use him without hesitation for other work and heartily recommend his services and skills to all SGL members.

Attached are a couple of shots of the focuser in place.

Dave

post-4043-0-43857900-1411132014_thumb.jp

post-4043-0-55348600-1411132028_thumb.jp

post-4043-0-75475000-1411132043_thumb.jp

• 4 weeks later...

Mark from Moonraker  Telescopes ... Visited him at his home to drop off an OTA tube for some work ... coffee, toasty and a look around his workshop then spent an hour nattering to Mark and his wife.

A top guy who I'm more than happy for him to work on my Tak FS152, a true artisan. 

• 3 months later...

While I don't live quite at the end of the world, you can certainly catch the bus from here.

Having only just stumbled across the Moonraker brand about a week ago, I was all excited and determined to have one, as my bucket-list scope.

Alas, I've had some not-so-satisfactory dealings with overseas scope makers - that means everybody -and if there's any hassles it takes an age and lots of cash to sort it out (are you paying attention T********i?)

Long story short, I had a telecon with Mark last night and came away feeling like I was the only customer he ever had.

He had no issues me an 'off-stock' refractor based around the spectacular 123 f6 LZOS lens.

Heck, if he was female, I'd have proposed!

A fantasic bloke to chat with and he's gone above and beyond to help me spec' my dream scope.

Many thanks to him, and 5 stars for the effort!

P.J.Hexter,

S. Gippsland,

Australia

Archived