NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Gamma discrepancy between Pixinsight and PS

lensman57

Hi,

I do most of my processing in PI and then import into PS for final tweaking and resizing. I have noticed recently that if I compare the two with the same image  PS seems to have a much brighter image so it is difficult to gauge how far to darken the background and  so on. Has anyone else noticed this or perhaps I need to calibrate the PS . I really don't want to get in to  ICC profiles and that stuff, I did them over twenty years ago and they were a real pain.

A.G

Is the image you open in PS a 32-bit image by any chance? I notice a massive gamma difference too but only when 32-bit. 16-bit is the same in PI and PS.

Anyway, why do you need PS at all? PI can resize and tweak! :p Maybe that way it saves you the headache.

Is the image you open in PS a 32-bit image by any chance? I notice a massive gamma difference too but only when 32-bit. 16-bit is the same in PI and PS.

Anyway, why do you need PS at all? PI can resize and tweak! :p Maybe that way it saves you the headache.

No it is only 16 bit. I have now set PS not to colour manager and it sort of got them to look the same. I use PS at the end just as a final tweak, much as I hate to admit it at times I find the adjusting of the levels and some local noise reduction or sharpening more efficient than PI but it could just be me not knowing what to do with PI.

Regards,

A.G

I can't say I've noticed this. I flit between the two with shameless promiscuity. As regards the background level, though, I always measure it and aim for 23/23/23 as measured with the Ps colour sampler tool. I do sometimes let it get a tad darker than that if the image has some faint wisps of tidal tail, or whatever, which won't pop otherwise. I'm measuring real background sky here, not obscuring dust which can be much darker.

Olly

I can't say I've noticed this. I flit between the two with shameless promiscuity. As regards the background level, though, I always measure it and aim for 23/23/23 as measured with the Ps colour sampler tool. I do sometimes let it get a tad darker than that if the image has some faint wisps of tidal tail, or whatever, which won't pop otherwise. I'm measuring real background sky here, not obscuring dust which can be much darker.

Olly

Thanks for the info Ollly, I think that I have set the level @ 32 and usually I just try a few points and see what I get. Waiting for a clear sky to try an RGB with the 383 and then I see how the Gamma behaves.

Regards,

A.G

Archived