Sky watcher mercury 705

I'm a newbie at this and bought a skywatcher mercury 705.

Yesterday was first time I had a chance to look at the moon clearly.

Using the lens I could see in detail but problem I found was I had to look an inch or 2 back from the lens.if I moved closer to the lens everything gets blurred.

Am I doing something wrong?

And is there a way to look from a bigger lens(in terms of size) so you have a bigger screen to look at?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It sounds as if there is something either not present or in there that should not be.

Might be utterly stupid but the focuser is moving forward and back?

Just thinking that there may be a locking screw holding it tight and you have presumed that it is meant to be fixed.

Looking at the scope I cannot make out if the prism diagonal has to be in or if there is a mirror diagonal option supplied.

Reading the assorted blurb it looks like only an erect image diagonal, so is that in the focuser.

Just thinking you may have left it out to look straight through the scope.

Alternative eyepieces, the scope takes 1.25" EP's all I can suggest is a plossl, no idea where you are so if not the UK saying BST's means nothing. Although first you need to get the scope operating with the bits you have - assuming the bits you have are correct. I am biased towards something is missing from the optical path.

I think that it may be the locking screw is in a little tight. On the bottom of the telescope are two wheels (one on each side) used to move the eyepiece/focuser in or out so that you get a better image. Directly opposite these two wheels on the top of the telescope is a small thumb screw, this is used to adjust the tension of the focuser. Unwind the screw until you get smooth travel, too slack and it may push the focuser in when you put your eye against the telescope, too tight and it will be difficult to move the focu wheels.

Bought one of these for my daughters birthday and its not a bad little telescope for the money!

That is what I was thinking, and when you have just got one it never seems a good idea to apply too much force.

Best to have a careful look around the focuser and see what is there.

The picture looks right, except the ones on retailers sites have the focuser wound well back. You can see the bit that moves in and out quite easily.

I say looks right but you do put an eyepiece in the diagonal bit don't you?

I presume that this is the "lens" you mention.

Sorry if you think I must be mad to ask something as basic as this but believe me worse then that has occurred.

I have learnt one thing - if it can go wrong it will.

Yes that's where I put the lens.

I need the basic instructions as it is all new to me.

It's cloudy today locally so I think il need to sort the focusing during day time as I can see what I'm doing aswel.

Thank you for the tips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had to ask as I have aligned scopes by removing the eye piece and looking down the diagonal tube, and you have to hold your head well back for that. And that was a fair match to what you described.

So the set up is scope-focuser-diagonal-eyepiece.

Make sure the focuser can be wound in and out.

Check there is no barlow in there, shouldn't be.

And that is about it.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived