NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First attempt at Star Trails

gareth6233

Good start. Nice arc starting to form.

Can you point the camera either to Polaris or the south as the arcs look more impressive there; or is light pollution a limiting factor in these directions?

Can you get wider than 35mm? Was it really 35mm as it looks like quite a narrow field of view. What is the bright object in the centre?

You don't have a continuous line, which means your camera had four regular breaks during the imaging run; was this purposeful?

Was this recently done with a full moon? Moon light washes trails out quite a lot, better to do it 7-14 days or either side of a full moon in my experience.

But your settings seem appropriate otherwise. It's very much trial and error what works with your kit and your location.

Look forward to seeing more of your images as you progress.

Janes

The light polution was too much to point north. As this was a first attempt i didnt go too far. The breaks are where i was checking the images on the camera. As far as I am aware, the bright one in the middle is a star.

Thanks for link, that will come in handy.

As wide as possible. I think this was about 18mm on a cropped sensor (canon 600d):

3atera6u.jpg

But it depends where you point the camera. 35mm looking straight at polaris would be good; looking east or west from a latitude of 52* north at 35mm might just look a bit less interesting, unless you have something good in the foreground.

James

Archived