Satellite Photography

Hey, I'm new, don't know too much about the whole thing. I've spent plenty of time outside tracking satellites, marking their paths, ect. Got some stars memorized, you know, the basics.

But now, I have the Canon Rebel T3i and I'm looking to try to capture some pictures of satellites, you know, close up. So they're not just a moving light in the sky.

So here's all I have.

•canon rebel t3I

•500mm telephoto lens with 2x attachable piece.

So its basically a 1000mm lens when I need to zoom that much.

So, with that equiptment, how will a "close up" photo of a satellite such as Terra or Envisat turn out?

Thanks

Hello and welcome to SGL. I would suspect that with your equipment a satellite would still look like a small dot on the the sensor. Photographers have successfully taken images of the ISS using telescopes and webcam style cameras but I think using the same technique to capture images of much smaller objects such as satellites would be difficult. Imagine trying to take a photograph of a moving object about the size of a bus 500 miles away and I think you will get an impression of the difficulty.

I have seen a couple of shots of the ISS done with DSLR and camera lens of about 200-300mm so in theory you should be able to get a workable image with your set up.

Here is one with a very similar set up to yours and frankly it's an amazing shot.

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/188245-iss-with-a-camera-lens/

I dare say it would take a bit of practice too, I am yet to have success with a telescope and CCD so if I thought it'd be easier with a 300mm lens I'd give it a go.

As for Terra or envisat I have no idea how that would work as they are much smaller than the ISS but I would love to see you have a go and post the results. I haven't really seen anybody trying to image these sats before so have no idea what the end result is.

I say have a look at the heavensabove or calsky website and find a time for the next ISS crossing and give it a go.

Archived