Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Meade 6" cassagrain and lumix GH3 focus distance

vertigo262

Hi,

I am new to astronomy, and I bought a telescope a month ago and just figured it all out as far as alignment and viewing.

Tonight I went out and started looking at deep space objects, and they appear as smudges. I'm guessing a 6" can't let enough light in to see the form. But in the EP I can see the light smudge looking objects.

So I tried popping my Lumix GH3 in and I realized, due to the distance change, it was out of focus. So I tried focusing it, but realized the the LCD or digital viewer isn't sharp enough to let me see most stars to focus on, so I couldn't get it in focus.

I pointed my telescope at polaris and then focused it because it was bright enough. My question is this? 

I like to find the objects with the view finder and make sure everything is ok, and in frame and such with the EP, but if I do that, I need to be able to take the EP out and put in the camera without refocusing because the LCD can't handle it.

Is this possible to do? or if I use a mirrored SLR, is that a better option?

any advice on this would be appreciated

Archived