Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hey guys and gals I have been taking a few courses through coursera, I have accomplished three

Introductory to astronomy

From the Big Bang to dark energy

Highlights of modern astronomy

These courses are free but now I am looking at doing a course through Open University, S10, has anyone done this course and is there anything I need to buy etc, thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I take it the S10 course you are taking is the certificate in astronomy and planetary sciences which consists of two modules S282 Astronomy and S283 Planetary Science and the search for life.  I've done S282 but not S283

There isn't anything spectacular you need to buy for S282 apart from what is lited in the course documentation.  Anything you may need for the observational tasks are household stuff like string, light bulbs, watch etc.

It's a pretty involved course with lots of work to do but worth the ffort for the stuff you'll learn.  If you don't have a physical scientific calculator then the calculator in windows can be put into scientific mode and will do just fine.  Apart form all that if you don't have one a pair of binoculars or a small scope is good to have.  They not necessary, but I'm sure you'll want to have a look at night sky objects for yourself.  You may want to download stellarium if you don't already have it as it's a comprehensive planetarium that is great to familiarise yourself with the night sky.

Nothing much else to note about the courses apart from work hard and enjoy them.

Dave...

• 2 weeks later...

Archived