NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

QHY5L-IIC and PHD

That grid pattern is the Bayer matrix. You need to select the correct matrix to remove the grid and to turn the image into colour.

The QHY5L-II driver doesn't work, AFAIK, with PHD. According to the QHY site (and in the very best Chinglish!)

"Currently PHDGuiding's directly QHY5-II or QHY5L-II plugin has some bug please do not use this directly driver come with the PHDGuide software.

Please use the ASCOM to connect between camera and PHDGuiding"

Where do you do this in PHD?  I see it in EZplanetary.  

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well folks I think I'm done with this camera.  Set it up last night for test run and it was totally unusable with PHD1 or 2.  I tried every driver and got nothing but a noisy unusable view.  I contacted the vendor this morning about returning it.  I think I'm going to try the Orion Star Shoot, which I was my origin plan.  

Where do you do this in PHD?  I see it in EZplanetary.  

In PHD guiding press the camera button and from the drop down list choose Ascom camera, the second choice down. You must have Ascom platform installed and the driver be the latest one. It ought to work just fine as a lot of folks use this camera for guiding with PHD guiding over here in the UK. It is a pretty popular camera.

A.G

Well folks I think I'm done with this camera.  Set it up last night for test run and it was totally unusable with PHD1 or 2.  I tried every driver and got nothing but a noisy unusable view.  I contacted the vendor this morning about returning it.  I think I'm going to try the Orion Star Shoot, which I was my origin plan.  

I use a QHY5L-II with an OAG and get very good results with it. The sensor is the same (AFAIK) as the one in the ZWO cameras and is very sensitive.

Unless the camera is faulty, then it might be worth sticking with it?

In PHD guiding press the camera button and from the drop down list choose Ascom camera, the second choice down. You must have Ascom platform installed and the driver be the latest one. It ought to work just fine as a lot of folks use this camera for guiding with PHD guiding over here in the UK. It is a pretty popular camera.

A.G

A.G.

I hear you loud and clear but there is something wrong.  It may just be this individual camera but it shouldn't be this difficult.  I've tried every combination of drivers and I can't get anything useful.  I'm no software engineer but I'm tech savvy enough to know something isn't right.  

Mike  

A.G.

I hear you loud and clear but there is something wrong.  It may just be this individual camera but it shouldn't be this difficult.  I've tried every combination of drivers and I can't get anything useful.  I'm no software engineer but I'm tech savvy enough to know something isn't right.  

Mike  

You have my sympathy Mike, when I started this hobby last April I bought an OpticStar 131Mono  camera and a GPUSB unit. On my Win 7 64 laptop , I had a lot of trouble getting even the GPUSB to work properly with PHD and PHD just kept on freezing during Calibration. The OpticStar camera worked fine in the beginning but then it started having all sorts of problems with PHD, it just would not capture an image even though PHD has native support for OptcStar cameras. The camera was fine as it would function normally during day time and even for planetary but just wouldn't work with PHD as a guide camera, in the end I bought an ASI 120 and got an old laptop with Win XP and so far it has been good, touch wood. Perhaps the vendor could change the camera for a mono version for you.

A.G

Don't give up Mike!

I've not managed to get this camera to work with the qhy5L-II C driver, but try using "Windows WDM - style webcan camera" then choose "QHY Camera (Native WDM)".

Then, Set the camera up in the CAM Dialog to between 40 - 80 exposure and 10 gain and have PHD take 1 - 2 second exposures This works for me in both PHD1 and PHD2 and I can pick up quite feint stars.

For the debayer pattern problem, I solved mine in EZPlanetary and posted answer here: http://www.astronomyshed.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=21069

I've had no debayer matrix problems with PHD.

Rob

Was working with PHD2 last night and tried out some options for connecting my QHYL II cam. (Colour version)

Some notes:

The windows WDM connection works fine, although lacks some sensitivity.

The QHYL II connection works, but it looks like it may be not be Debayered, although it still guided perfectly.

If you choose the wrong QHY II camera (I think Mono), it crashes PHD, when you try to start the camera.

Hope this helps.

Edit: I did upgrade to the latest version last night, the previous version 2.2.2 did not have bayer problems with my cam.

Thanks everyone for the insight. I have another month to return the qhy so I think I'm going to order the starshoot and I'll return one of them. I'll keep messing with the qhy and see if I can get it working.

Archived