Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

planning my first night out with binoculars!!

I was just wondering if any of you great people could share any tips on planning a night out under the stars! I live basically a 5 minute walk from the hills of the peak district, which I think would be perfect for a night out without the street lights and trees distracting me from my back garden. Hopefully with clear skies, my plan so far is to fill my back pack with (10×50) binoculars. A small phillip's astronomy with binocular's book. Torch with red tip! Do i need a Note book to do a reminder of things I see? Flask or stove? Food? Im planning on grabbing the sun lounger from the garden.., which is really light weight! As ive read it helps you to steady the binoculars. This will be my first night out. So maybe im on the right lines for a night out, maybe im way off. Im hoping to get out in the next week or so as long the clear skies continue. So if anyone could please describe there night out with there bino's to give me an idea of a good long night out under the stars. That would be great. Many thanks and happy clear skies

First tip is to not underestimate how cold it can get, even in August, so best to take more layers than you thought, much better than packing up early because you are frozen.

Personally, I take a flask, but that's because I'm usually with others and don't want to annoy them with the flame from a stove.

How well do you know the sky ?  If starting out in the world of astronomy, I'd learn the main summer stars and constellations, then go for some good binocular objects using your Philips binocular book.

The summer triangle ( Vega, Deneb and Altair ) is a great starting point, and within the triangle are loads of great binocular objects.

Hope it goes well.  If you are within 5 minute's walk of the hills of the Peak District, that's a huge bonus many on here would be very happy to have  :laugh:

Regards, Ed.

Archived