Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Veil Neb, Pickerings Triangle

ChrisLX200

Another chunk of the Veil neb, about 10 more to go and I could have a mosaic :)   This is a fascinating area though, full of sinuous tendrils of gas and dust, and something else I spotted on the 3nM OIII stack. This isn't complete, just some Ha and OIII data as a bi-colour, and there's a fair amount of residual noise due to the limited number of subs (5 x Ha and 4 x OIII, all 20mins). Still lots to be seen though.

PickeringsTrianglebi-colour_zps7fb75b6d.

...and the interesting bit, spotted in the 3nM OIII stack, a star that seems to have made a channel/gouge out of the OIII shock front, either as a result of the expanding material flowing around the star or perhaps the star itself moving through it (or combination of both). This feature doesn't show on the Ha stack. In the full frame image it lies just below centre but I've cropped the relevant portion out of the OIII stack to show it better:

aOIIIchannel_zps63e2f927.jpg

ChrisH

Lots of detail there, I'd love to see a 10 pane mosaic. :) Any chance you could put the OIII and Ha of that feature you mention side-by-side please?

Here they are next to each other:

058aaOIIIchannelboth_zps93607776.jpg

...and if no-one's already named it, I'm going to call it "Pickerings Worm"  :)

ChrisH

Archived