Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

I'm Hooked!

Getting into  this hobby is something I have wanted to do for a long time now.  A few weeks ago I simply told myself I was going to go for it.  I ordered  myself a pair of Celestron 20x80 binoculars and a copy of NightWatch.  I have been reading it and practicing with the binoculars.  I have done some planet spotting with them, some pans of the sky, and a shot at the moon a couple of weeks ago.  

Tonight, however, was perfect!  Beautiful crisp and clear summer night with no moon.  I spent a while without the binocs just continuing to get used to the night sky and worked on spotting up some new sights with the binocs.  I decided that I wanted  to grab view of  M31 and I got a great sight of it through those binoculars.  I was just so  enthralled by what i saw(even with just binoculars) that I just stared  at it in wonder  for nearly thirty minutes unable to tear myself away from it.  Tonight's session now truly has me hooked!  Looking forward to many more beautiful nights under the umbrella of the cosmos.  A telescope will come eventually, but  Im in no hurry! 

Hi to you in the US  :smiley:

It sounds to me that you have exactly the right attitude to start astronomy, taking your time, and trying those very nice binoculars, no rush.

Some folk seem to want to jump right in the deep end, spend loads on kit, then expect that it's all going to happen in five minutes, and when it's not like that, their kit is up for sale.

Maybe a local club would be good ?  Or maybe not, many get great satisfaction as a lone astronomer. Of course, your call.

SGL could be your club, no cost, no travelling involved. Not knocking local clubs of course, I'm a member of one, and like it there.

Regards, Ed.

Archived