Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

QHY5L-II mono Finally working after a few issues

Kbramley

I have finally got my hands on a 2nd hand QHY5L-II after a good few months scouring the usual buy n sell haunts. I now have got it working in PHD2 and EZplanetary but took a few attempts, I thought I would explain my problems here in case anyone else has had similar problems.

my system is a laptop (high spec) running Win 7  64bit 

1) downloaded the high performance drivers, ASCOM drivers and EZplanetry from QHY website. First problem was the zip file for the high performance drivers wouldn't unzip? WinRar reported the file header was incomplete, tried repairing it using the utility but still no luck. The other two files unzipped fine however. So downloaded it again and still the same problem, after trying numerous repair program's I then tried it on my missus's laptop, and bam unzipped first time? First problem solved, don't use WInRar to unzip the install files but use the native winzip instead .

2) tried copying it to my laptop and everytime I copied it across, it vanished, yes that's right I would see it copy then a fraction of a second later it would vanish. Turns out Avast anti-virus appears to think the .exe file has a virus, although I'm normally very wary about these things I trust QHY and this was straight for their site, so turned off anti-virus for 5mins whilst it installed - installed fine, second problem solved, turn off antivirus during install to avoid conflicts.

3) as instructed now plugged in camera into usb slot, windows detected it, tried installing driver , then fell over and reported the device was not installed properly. Looking at device manager the camera was listed under astronimical cams and appeared in devices as QHY5L camera. However when trying to connect to cam in EZplanetary or PHD/PHD2 it would just hang. Tried unplugging and re plugging a few times and the same error appeared. I the n tried a completely different usb slot (a usb 2.0) slot and win detected it, installed both A and B drivers  and reported all was fine. Tentatively I opened up EZplanetary and it connected fine and showed an image, the tried PHD2, selected ASCOM driver and again worked flawlessly. I then left it running for a few hours and had no hangs or crashes. Third problem solved, turns out it doesn't like usb 3.0 slots on some pcs, seems to work fine on usb 2.0.

Just need a clear night now to integrate it onto my OAG, but pleased that I got it working after some initial teething problems whilst it's raining outside. l would suspect there are a host of issues that may crop up depending upon your system, but hopefully  anyone else having similar issues may find this useful.

keith 

Archived