NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Cables for a Ioptron Cem60

Grimmec

Hi all,

I have just taken delivery of my new CEM60 :-) these mounts have the cable management system that has 2 outputs for 12v powered accessories. These seem to be standard 2.1mm sockets.

Anyone know where I can get hold of the cables to run from this to my camera etc, as really struggling to find them online.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're right that the 12VDC outputs on the DEC panel are 5.5mm x 2.1mm, however the power input by the polar scope is 5.5mm x 2.5mm (the main power input for the mount is 5.5mm x 2.1mm.)

What camera are you trying to power?

You may have to DIY. I'm running a 5.5mm x 2.1mm male cable to the DEC panel with the other end spliced to a 12V to 7.26V buck converter. The output of the converter runs into the battery "blank" from an AC power adapter for the camera (I ordered a cheapy and cut it off.) It's a pretty straightforward "hack" as I didn't even use any solder, just heat shrink tubing.

Thanks, I have managed to order some from Maplin, not sure if they will be any good. The camera is a sxvr H694 and also the want to run a moonlite motor focus controller.

Hopefully they will work/be up to the job, if not time to break out the solder iron and get making :-) could be disastrous.

Well, all is not lost. You can use the 5.5mm x 2.5mm connectors to adapt an existing 12VDC AC adapter for CEM60 use. As for camera power what I'm seeing on various sites is that the SXVR-H694 has a 12VDC (.9A) input. Check your AC adapter to be sure. If it outputs 12VDC then you'll just need a cable from the DEC assembly to the camera. Same with the Moonlite focuser. It's listed as 12VDC from what I can find and it should operate off the DEC assembly as well.

The DEC assembly is rated at 5A so you won't need a power supply more powerful than that.

Thanks for the info, very helpful as when it comes to electronics I am a tad lost. Can't wait to try this mount out, hopefully will get some clear skies fairly soon.

• 1 month later...

Mount is working a treat, so easy to set up and connect. I am having issues with my guiding, in that it doesn't seem to guide, but think this is software related rather than mount, but just need some clear skies to figure it out. As long as I can sort my guiding, will have no regrets in spending the £££

I run mine via maxim, getting a perfect guide graph, averages between 0.05 & 0.08 rms, however stars still drift up and right and over course if several exposures they are moving my several cm's.

Now downloaded phd2 to try to see if that makes any difference and gone back to st4 cable rather than pulse guide.

Haven't updated the software yet as it doesn't like the rs232 to USB adapter (even well runs mount fine) so have a different one on order.

How you getting on with yours?

I had issues with firmware up grade only would work. You never be able to update using a pacific driver I had to buy another one using FIDI processor worked first time .. 20 squid from amazon

I haven't had time to take it for a spin but got a 10 inch RC on it .. let's see how it goes how do u find the polar alignment. If your stars are drifting check PA

What scope are you using. P.m if your on Facebook would be great to share tips

I have just ordered a fidi one too, so hopefully this will work.

Polar aligning is very simple, have only used the handset time and get ok stars up to 200 second exposures, which is why in puzzled by the guiding, it's almost as if it's saying it's guiding but not actually guiding at all. So hope switching back to st4 will cure it, have heard people having issues with ascom pulse guiding.

I only have a 80mm triplet frac, with a 80mm guider so massively under weight, but intend in converting the 9.25" sct into a deepsky imager for the smaller stuff eventually.

I run mine via maxim, getting a perfect guide graph, averages between 0.05 & 0.08 rms, however stars still drift up and right and over course if several exposures they are moving my several cm's.

Now downloaded phd2 to try to see if that makes any difference and gone back to st4 cable rather than pulse guide.

Haven't updated the software yet as it doesn't like the rs232 to USB adapter (even well runs mount fine) so have a different one on order.

How you getting on with yours?

This is surely a massive polar misalignment. There is no other explanation.

Olly

This is surely a massive polar misalignment. There is no other explanation.

Olly

But if I switch off the guiding I can run 200second unguided until they start to trail, so my pa can't be far off.

It's almost as if it is saying it is guiding but actually not!

Going to try phd2 drift align next time just to see how far I am off

That's what I suspect... are you permanent or portable

portable, so gets set up fresh each time. If it's is polar alignment, then my polar scope must be out. But if it was pa error, wouldn't my guide graph jump around rather than being smooth and flat?

This is the guide graph I get, and a crop of the stars, which doesn't show brilliantly in the photo.

Basically they are worse than what I used to get with the old HEQ5, which is rather frustrating. I still think its a software issue and seems the guider is just not holding the star and giving a false reading.

post-26168-0-67466900-1407263930_thumb.j

post-26168-0-90983300-1407263986_thumb.j

This is the guide graph I get, and a crop of the stars, which doesn't show brilliantly in the photo.

Basically they are worse than what I used to get with the old HEQ5, which is rather frustrating. I still think its a software issue and seems the guider is just not holding the star and giving a false reading.

and I don't know why its decided to put that in upside down!

Archived