Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Meade HD60 or Celestron X-Cel LX 12mm

Hi all

I intend getting either a Meade HD eyepiece or a Celestron X-Cel as a birthday present. I was after the views of anyone who may have used these eyepieces as to what hits the nail on the head so to speak. I do notice the Celestron is cheaper, but in the astronomy market more expensive does not mean better. It will be used on my CPC800 as soon as I can carry the thing out after a hernia operation. :-) I am after a 12mm in either.

Thanks all

I have several of the Meade HD60's & found them a considerable improvement over the standard Skywatcher eyepieces. I was able to see galaxies that were previously invisible in the standard eyepieces from my light polluted skies. From what I have heard they are for all intents & purposes the same or similar to the xcel lx range but maybe a slightly better build quality. 

I have 3 X-Cel LX eyepieces and am VERY happy with them. My only disappointment so far has been the lack of availability of the 2x Barlow from the same range. Can't comment on the Meades as I've not used them but love the Celestrons. Excellent value for money.

Jon

A quick search and it seems they were discussed about 18 months back and the the general opinion was they could well be the same optics internally. Focal lengths are similar as well but I note not specified as identical.

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/170272-meade-hd-60-degree-range/

I see Meade still refer to these as plossl's :confused: , which they did for their 4 element plossl's (correctly) and the later 5 element ones they also called plossl's and these are 6 element :eek: :eek: . Looks like Meade are simply calling everything a plossl immaterial of the design and the nimber of lens in the eyepiece. :grin: :grin: :grin:

Archived