Couple of Oculus shots from last September

At this time of year no one gets to do much astronomy, not until the sun moves a little further south so I've had a chance to have a look at some old files littering my computers hard drive. Here's a couple of pics from last September, I'd set up an all sky cam (Starlight Xpress Oculus) and have a nights worth of images but thought I'd put two individual frames up, in the first there’s a meteor heading down the milky way, in the next shot, just a few seconds or so later there's another heading the opposite direction but in virtually the same place. The second one also broke into two. 

Of course I missed this because I was looking at my computer screen… :(

On the images, south is to the bottom. The horrible glow to the south west is Exeter, about 8-9 miles away. The camera does exaggerate the light pollution a bit, it’s not as bad visually…

The Milky Way is at it’s best at this time of year. To the north east (about 11 o’clock on the images) you can see a bright blob, this is the Pleiades or Seven Sisters rising.

These shots were both taken around at about 11pm... before the local streetlights etc get turned out..

James

post-649-0-34802200-1403003962_thumb.jpg

post-649-0-18980700-1403004011_thumb.jpg

excellent capture's, good you went back through the old data :)

I tend to set the Oculus up whenever I'm out as it only costs a USB port on the laptop - admittedly that way I get to capture those nights where it clouds over 20 minutes after starting imaging but I have a couple of nearly all-nighters that I must convert to a video including one from the last Kelling which stops abruptly at 5am when I fell asleep and my leg pulled out the power cable  :rolleyes:

James

Archived