Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Advice Please

I am going to purchase  a 300mm diameter telescope, now there are two variations available, one a f4 1200mm focal length and the other f5.3 1600mm focal length, I want it for astrophotography but also I'm looking to get closer to deep sky objects I'm struggling to image with my current scope

Aperture is not the relevant item in AP, the f number is.

So the F/4 should be the better.

The problem is the scope will have such a cross section that any breeze at all will cause the exposure at that time to be lost.

You will also need a very solid mount, I see you have an EQ6 but I would start to doubt it being up to the job.

First forget aperture, aperture is for visual and you want a scope for imaging.

As an example an f/5 300mm reflector will give as bright an image and so the same exposure as an f/5 80mm apo.

The 300mm and 80mm is to a large extent irrelevant the f number is the governing factor.

I seriously suspect you would be better with a 100mm apo refractor then a 300mm reflector.

Archived