NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Which adapter do you guys use for QHY5 to finderguider

Hi Guys/Gals

I'm in the market for a finder guider and have settled on a QHY5L-II mono to go onto my 9x50 Skywatcher finder scope. There are two adapters I can purchase. To quote Bernard from Modern Astronomy...

1)      C mount adapter for straight through finders: Fits with a screw thread – cheaper, simpler and a little more secure but less easy to use, you focus using the front objective ring on the finder.
2)      QHY5L-II adapter for straight through finders: Has a two piece 1.25” push fit system which is more expensive but really easy to use for focusing as the camera slides in and out until focused then the parfocalising ring is used to register that position.
So the question is what should I go for? Or more importantly what have you all settled on and why?
Option 1) for more secure fixing or Option 2) for ease of focusing?
A clear majority might help me decide  :confused: 

i use this, a adapter straight into the Finder scope, its set-up 24/7 so no taking apart......once its focused that's it, i also use it with PHD and the Bull's Eye to align the DSLR Sensor save a lot of back and forth get DSO's in the middle....

003GUIDESCOPEFINDERSCOPE.jpg

I went for the first option of using the screw in C mount as the camera isn't going to go anywhere mounted whilst screwed in and it's cheaper. There's also the possibility of attaching other cameras to the C mount if you decide to change your guide camera such as a Lodestar/DMK etc.... not that this will happen as I am sure you will be very happy with the QHY5. :-)

I can't speak for the other adapter as I have never tried it but I suspect the camera won't be quite as secure and there's always the risk that if you snag the USB cable it could come out, hopefully someone with this adapter can confirm if this is an issue or not... hopefully it isn't. :)

In my own experience, it's not difficult to obtain focus using the front objective of the finder and with the camera and objective being essentially locked in the same place fully screwed in, there is no need to use a parfocal ring.

I went for the first option of using the screw in C mount as the camera isn't going to go anywhere mounted whilst screwed in and it's cheaper. There's also the possibility of attaching other cameras to the C mount if you decide to change your guide camera such as a Lodestar/DMK etc.... not that this will happen as I am sure you will be very happy with the QHY5. :-)

I can't speak for the other adapter as I have never tried it but I suspect the camera won't be quite as secure and there's always the risk that if you snag the USB cable it could come out, hopefully someone with this adapter can confirm if this is an issue or not... hopefully it isn't. :)

In my own experience, it's not difficult to obtain focus using the front objective of the finder and with the camera and objective being essentially locked in the same place fully screwed in, there is no need to use a parfocal ring.

Thanks for the info Mark_C

I'll wait for others to comment on option 2 but your route sounds appealling.  :grin:

Archived