Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

June 3, 2013: Big prom still there during solar lunchtime

The big prom on the south-eastern limb could still be seen during our solar lunchtime. It looks roughly triangular, with two "legs" in an acute angle running from its tip to the solar limb. The "arrow head" thus formed points nearly due south (or just slightly easterly) from the south-eastern limb. A filament on the disk seems to be almost perfectly aligned with the northern leg, and might be part of the same structure (making it a truly massive object). Several proms can be seen northwards along the eastern limb, and several AR with sunspots and associated light and dark swirls are visible  mainly on the eastern part of the disk.

Almost all our PhD students joined in, and it was particularly nice that the sun made a spectacular showing today, because Laura, a Spanish PhD student had to leave for Leon, Spain, late this afternoon. She has been here for 3 months, and has been a regular at the solar lunch sessions. In 9 months time she will return, and can continue her H-alpha viewing of the sun. I might get an invitation to give lectures in Leon, and I am sure they will be disappointed if I do not bring the solar scope.

Archived