Orion Stratus EP

Aplanis

Hello all

I'm a beginner to viewing. I'm not new to astronomy in that I had scopes before (very very basic) and have read astronomy magazines, familiar with the planets, major stars and constellations.

However I finally want to really explore the sky and invest into equipment capable of enjoying amateur astronomy.

After much research, I purchased the Orion XT8 Dob.

I also did research regarding EPs. I went ahead and ordered the Orion Stratus EPs in 5mm, 8mm and 13mm sizes. I also ordered a Shorty x2 Barlow. The scope comes with a 25mm Plossl.

Wanted to inquire if this will be a good foundation for a beginner? Should I return anything? Are the Stratus good EPs for the Orion Dob?

Thanks for the advice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe the Orion Stratus's are the same eyepieces as the Baader Hyperion's. They are good eyepieces and you seem to have selected a range that will provide some useful magnifications. You will probably find that the 2x barlow used with the 5mm Stratus will give too much magnification (480x !) to be much use but otherwise you seem to have things well covered. If you have a choice between the "Shorty" and the "Shorty Plus" barlows go for the latter one as it's a much better quality barlow lens.

I believe the Orion Stratus's are the same eyepieces as the Baader Hyperion's. They are good eyepieces and you seem to have selected a range that will provide some useful magnifications. You will probably find that the 2x barlow used with the 5mm Stratus will give too much magnification (480x !) to be much use but otherwise you seem to have things well covered. If you have a choice between the "Shorty" and the "Shorty Plus" barlows go for the latter one as it's a much better quality barlow lens.

Thanks John

Since I got those EPs I've debated if I should keep the Barlow or return it.

However, if I should keep the Barlow thanks for the advice on the better option.

You have made a good choice all will be good on planets,glob and doubles.Maybe a low power wide field like a 28 to 32mm 82 degree to add at a later date and your pretty much sorted.

You have made a good choice all will be good on planets,glob and doubles.Maybe a low power wide field like a 28 to 32mm 82 degree to add at a later date and your pretty much sorted.

Thanks. Yeah that's exactly what I had thought to get once I start into DSOs.

Archived