NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Focal Reducer for Mak-Cass

Hi all,

I know that I can find a focal reducer for an SCT relatively easily; however, is there a focal reducer that will thread on the back of a Mak-Cass? Also, if there isn't such a thing...is there an adapter that will allow SCT accessories to to be used on a Mak?

Hi all,

I know that I can find a focal reducer for an SCT relatively easily; however, is there a focal reducer that will thread on the back of a Mak-Cass? Also, if there isn't such a thing...is there an adapter that will allow SCT accessories to to be used on a Mak?

Hi,

Depending on the F ratio of the scope you maybe able to use one of these but they are not exactly cheap. The Intes reducers  are the ones to look for.

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p2476_Intes-Mikro-Reducer-0-8x-fuer-Maksutov-Cassegrains---RC-s.html

http://www.modernastronomy.com/accessories.html#accFocalReducers

A.G

I have a Reducer for the LX which if an F10 SC and the F6.3 reducer.

I also have the adapter for the back of my Mak to make it SC thread.

I tried the reducer on the Mak once and visually it was horrible with masses of vignetting. It may well be different on a F10 Mak mine is F15. It sounds as if with Astro Photo you can at least get something.

Good luck,

Alan

I have a Reducer for the LX which if an F10 SC and the F6.3 reducer.

I also have the adapter for the back of my Mak to make it SC thread.

I tried the reducer on the Mak once and visually it was horrible with masses of vignetting. It may well be different on a F10 Mak mine is F15. It sounds as if with Astro Photo you can at least get something.

Good luck,

Alan

Hi Alan,

An SCT FF/FR is of little use on a MAK. MAKS inherently have a very flat field, something that SCTs do not ( I don't know about the Edge series though ) so an SCT FF/FR will over correct and ruin the flat field of a MAK. The Intes FRs take this into account.

A.G

Thanks for the help everyone...I may just wait and buy an SCT as well...1 scope for every purpose

Careful with that statement, as I would argue that the 150Mak, the C6 and the 150pds all have pro's and cons.

A 150Mak with a 0.6 reducer will give you a focal ratio of 1000mm at F6.6

A C6 will cost you a similar amount with the focal reducer included and you will also achieve the same Focal Ratios as above.

The cheaper option is to go for a 150pds Newtonian (with Coma Corrector), which many people use to good effect. 

So it really comes down to which design you favour.

The Mak and the C6 are very good compact set-up for imaging Galaxies and Planetary. (not good at wide field)

The 150PDS is a bit of a wind sail, so your mount needs to be sturdy, but can be used to create a wider field (Nebula)

The 150pds and the C6 will need frequent collamination, where as the the Mak is plug and play, rugged take on holiday scope.

I have heard that the C6 can suffer from mirror flop and the image can stretch.

Looking at the above I went for  a 127mak for narrow field and planetary rugged scope and for a 80ED for wide field use.

Of cause if you want to go bigger C8 or C11 then the Cass's come into their own for portability.

Although you going to need a pretty pricey mount to stay portable and image with them.

Just want to put a bit of perspective.

Archived