NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

On Mercury

Took the Dob out for a couple of hours in the park - by the end the fallow deer had wandered over to see what was going on, and I racked up a couple of bats flitting around in the dusk.

My main motivation tonight was Mercury - I've only ever seen it once before through my old Tal, back in the 90's when we had global hypercolour t-shirts and Oasis were still popular. It took ages to find it, waiting for the sky to get dark enough but before it got too low on the horizon. Once I could see Capella and Procyon I managed to hunt it out and was rewarded by a slight crescent at x150. Definitely one where the joy is in the hunt...

Moved on to much easier objects by touring the other visible planets. Jupiter first, with loads of bands visible, even with my new mid-power 15mm lens. It's getting hard to see much though because it's setting very early now. Mars was up next and there was some gorgeous seeing. I risked the barlow with the 8mm, which has never yielded the best results, but it paid off tonight with a view of some dark markings and an ice cap to reward me. I am becoming beguiled by Mars because it only yields its secrets with patience and a large dollop of luck, but it is rewarding when it all works out. I saved the best until last with Saturn though - really good seeing with Cassini Division easily visible, subtle banding and Rhea and Titan floating nearby. If you're stuck for what to observe over the mid-summer, then just stick to Saturn - you can't go far wrong.

I ventured a little way into the deep sky after this - couldn't stay up late enough for M4, M80 and M107, three globulars that I'd like to challenge the London skies to. Instead I looked at old favourite M13, tight and hard to locate M92 and finally the superlative M57 with some UHC enhancement making the ring shape clear and defined. I love my expensive bits of glass and am thoroughly looking forward to those summer skies!

Hope everyone else got some clear skies in...

DD

I was lucky when I found mercury for the first time two days ago. As soon as the sun was under the horizon I started to look for mercury and I was prepared for a long search. But all of a sudden, while I took a couple of steps, I saw a speck of light on the ecliptic, between jupiter and the sun. I lost it for a minute and then I could see it better as it got darker. Actually i was surprised that it is quite visible when it is low on the horizon, shining with an orange color. I hope It is not the last time i see it.

I was more a Blur and DJ Shadow man, but great report! I am yet to see Mercury; it's definitely on the list of things I should track down. As you say, there's thrill in the hunt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived