Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Solar Activity Linked to Lightning Strikes

Not sure it all adds up.

The bit saying:

"These solar wind streams are very predictable. We know the Sun rotates every 27 days, so there is a very strong recurrence rate. If we see them at one time, we know 27 days later it will be back again," said Dr Scott.

Would imply that the flare remains in place and constant for it to reappear 27 days later.

Flares are not as best I know constantly active in one place.

Happy to accept that lightening may increase (or decrease) with solar activity, however would like to have seen more data as in is it a 2% increase or a 20% increase - was is "a marked increase".

I fully suspect this a "proposal" type news release. I.e. We are seeing a correlation but we want more money to test our theories.

Happens a lot and often you'll not hear about it again.

As for the details, yes a 27 day rotation can sometimes show a cycle from a coronal hole that is long lived but it's a tenuous link at best, well in my opinion anyway but I'm no expert but have some experience in space weather.

Cheers

Ian

Archived