NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

ASUS Transformer and control of Celestron CG5-GT mount

morayskies

Hi All

New to this group so apologies if the answer to this query can be found elsewhere.

I have inherited an ASUS Transformer Android based tablet computer.  I have installed Sky Safari Plus on this device and would now like to use it to control my Celestron CG5-GT mount remotely but at close distance (ie never more than about 15ft away).

I have considered using SkyFi but have read that Android based systems do not allow 'ad hoc' networks to be setup easily.  Has anyone out there gone down this route and how successful was it?  The other option is to use bluetooth.  Again, if anyone has experience or thoughts about using bluetooth, I would be grateful if you could share them with me.

I know it is a big ask but, if someone out there has had success with achieving remote control of a CG5-GT mount using and ASUS Transformer Android tablet and Sky Safari, could you please list the 'bits-n-pieces' you had to put together to get it to work.

Many thanks in advance.

Moray Skies

• 10 months later...

I know this thread is pretty old, but i've had good luck with this combination. I got the US Converters UCBT232EXA bluetooth adapter and it includes a DB9 gender changer so no need to go buy one. I am using it on my CG-5 and EQ-6 mounts with both tablets and phones using Android version 4.4.4 with the SkySafari Pro 4.4.0 app. Despite the other threads I found, I didn't need to use a "terminal" app to reset the bluetooth adapter or to download ASCOM. The adapter arrived set to 9600 baud and has all the other settings in the default mode. No need to set PROMPT or ECHO to "N" either at least not with my mounts. It was much easier than US Converters directions indicated, however, I am not using a windows device, just android.

• 4 months later...

Hi Jbyron

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my original post.  This is still an issue I haven't resolved yet mainly due to moving house in the interim and astronomy taking a bit of a back seat for a while  :shocked: . It seems that the process may be a little simpler than I had anticipated and, with the darker nights approaching and a new dark sky astro season approaching, I shall make a concerted effort to get this combination working.  The main reason I'm hoping to get my Android tablet to control the CG5 is that it will be far more convenient for use at remote locations being more robust than a laptop and having a better battery life.  I'm about to head off and Google "US Converters UCBT232EXA bluetooth adapter" to see where I can get one from.

Thanks for your help  :smiley:

Clear Skies

Richard

Archived