NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

EQ mount info

Dave2007

Hi

I have a Megrez 72 and looking for a mount.

Been thinking about both the EQ3 and EQ5 but finding it difficult to find any info on EQ mounts on the net.

Does anyone know what are the differences between these models.

What do they weigh

What are they capable of carrying.

I want something sturdy that could maybe be used for imaging in the future but not so heavy an oldie like me couldn't get it out the house.

Any tips would be gratefully received

Dave

Especially for astro-photography, the beefier the mount the better. I have an EQ3-2 and IMHO it is the minimum mount that satisfies the term 'sturdy' and i have used it to good effect on several occasions but if your aspirations are towards imaging then I'd go for the EQ5. Both mounts can be upgraded to GoTo in the future should this be required. In any event, you will requires a motordrive for the the RA axis if you wish to image.

I've been using my ED102 F/6.5 refractor on a EQ5 mount and that is very sturdy - it would be more than enough for your Megrez 72 I would have thought. I think the EQ3-2 would be OK for visual use but a little lightweight for imaging.

For info on these sorts of things I tend to go to the Orion US website (www.telescope.com). They have mounts that are the equivilent of the EQ3-2 and the EQ5 (they call the latter the Skyview Pro) and their site has the spec of each one plus downloadable manuals.

John

Thanks for the link and advice. EQ5 it is then.

One other question regarDing cameras.

If a camera is connected to a laptop what sork of picture could I expect in real time.

Are they as sensitive as the eye. If not, by how much would the exposure need to be increased.

Dave

Thats a great deal but I am thinking of getting the goto version.

With delivery it's going to be about £60 + £315 + delivery for the upgrade from First Light Optics

Ian King do the fully assembled kit for £439 delivered. Not much difference really and less hassle.

Dave

Archived