Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A simple question with regards to SW GoTo handset

lensman57

Hi,

I am sorrry if this question sounds daft but I don't seem to be able to find a way of telling the mount to go to a particular star other than the few that have been listed under  the " Named Star " section. I am not always able to usethe Cartes Du Ciel with EQMOD so there must be a way of doing this.

Regards,

A.G

Not sure of the details of the SW but unless the Named List is of reasonable length then not from the name.

Usually there will be either SAO or HIP references, usually a lot more stars then the named list,

I am thinking that the SW one is like the Meade where the named list is fairly short but they list most under the SAO designation.

Not at times much use unless you know the SAO number for whatever star.

You may need a SAO (or HIP) to Name conversion somewhere, either simple text or an app.

Not sure if you can create, or add to and and extend the existing list - named star list.

It would make sense to be able to but I suspect you cannot, however sure I have read on one system where you can.

Should be easy to enter a name and add the RA+Dec.

Quite often the Named Star list is the one used for alignment and as these are not numerous then the named star list tends to be limited.

Not sure of the details of the SW but unless the Named List is of reasonable length then not from the name.

Usually there will be either SAO or HIP references, usually a lot more stars then the named list,

I am thinking that the SW one is like the Meade where the named list is fairly short but they list most under the SAO designation.

Not at times much use unless you know the SAO number for whatever star.

You may need a SAO (or HIP) to Name conversion somewhere, either simple text or an app.

Not sure if you can create, or add to and and extend the existing list - named star list.

It would make sense to be able to but I suspect you cannot, however sure I have read on one system where you can.

Should be easy to enter a name and add the RA+Dec.

Quite often the Named Star list is the one used for alignment and as these are not numerous then the named star list tends to be limited.

Thanks Ronin for the reply. There is a listing for SAO stars under the " Named Objects " so I guess I just have to find the SAOnumber in CDC from somewhere, I think by default CDC only displays the HIP number and I think these are different or are they?  

Regards,

A.G

Yes SAO/HIP are different numbers, cannot have it sensible after all but then that would mean just SAO or just HIP, and wherever came along second wasn't going to add to someone elses list.

If you fancy a few hours searching there may be a cross reference listing, I have never looked..

It is the sort of thing that you need as a simple file on a smart phone or tablet that you could scroll up and down: Sort of 3 columns of SAO, HIP, Name.

I added the SAO to a short list of doubles (the Delaware coloured doubles) took a while as I kept double checking the numbers (cannot type).

Somewhre I did a set of constellation diagrams for myself, print them in 6x4 card, cannot recall if I named the stars and added the SAO reference for myself. Works if only on one constellation but not if all over the sky.

Archived