NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

How many plato craterlets have you seen?

Pondus

May 12th  I finally managed to observe some of plato craterlets with my Orion XT8i, ​​high magnification. 

I could identify the one in the center of the crater plato (A), but I saw only one of the two in the picture labeled C and D.

How many it is possible to see in an 8 "reflector ?

How many have you been able to identify?

Regards

Rune

I've managed to see 10 with my 12" dobsonian. Thats my best tally so far under excellent viewing conditions and the craterlets were visible as actual pits with shadows and ramparts although some were very tiny. At other phases the cratelets can appear as bright spots on Plato's otherwise smooth floor but I don't find I can see as many under such conditions. I can usually spot the largest 4 with my 4" and 4.7" refractors though D & C can appear as a single elongated feature if the seeing is not so good. I reckon 8 should be possible with an 8" scope under favourable conditions and assuming the scope is well collimated.

Archived