Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Balance CPC fork mount with DSLR

So I'm looking at attaching various bits to my Celestron CPC HD 800, in additon to the standard finderscope, such as the starsense and eventually a small guidescope.

I've been recommended something lke the "ADM Vixen-type Dovetail" and I'm thinking of attaching one to each side of the tube. To maintain reasonable balance I realise that counterweights should be attached to the underneath bar. What I'm wondering about is whether i could use the "ADM Camera Mount with clamp" and hang a DSLR which would double as a counterweight and imager.

Am I crazy?

Provided you can keep thing balance the CPC "mount" can handle quite a load....

I went a bit mad with mine...

11848_normal.jpeg

The scope lived on a combined pier and wedge in my Obs , DEC (AZM) balance was taken care of by a sliding counter weight under the OTA the offset from the OTA could also be adjusted... Ra (AZM) balance was taken care of using adjustable ankle weights attacked to the carrying handle...

I will try to dig out some pic's of it on the wedge...

post-14969-133877434931_thumb.jpg

Sorry for the small pic , This how I last used the scopes... CPC800 with f6.3 reduced and One DLSR,  Megrez72 FFIII and another DSLR, guided by a Meade DSI IIc on a 500mm f8 T mount lens...

Sadly I am a lapsed "imager"  - The scopes haven't been in the obs for a couple of years and the obs is in a pretty poor state... :(

Peter...

The Megrez 72 was in  "standard" SCT guidescope bar and rings and the other (the 500mm f8) was in custom rings that I made my self that mounted of the side of the same bar.... The telephoto lenses have relatively small diameter tubes so there was plenty of room... 

I found myself doing most of my imaging through the Megrez 72 guided by the CPC800 which was a bit of a waste  and without mirror locks on the original CPC800 there was risk of mirror flop... SO I decided to add a dedicated guidescope so that I could image through both the Megrez and CPC at the same time - especially on smaller targets l where the SCT offered tighter view of the target while the Megrez set it in wider "context" FOV...

Peter...

Archived