NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New telescope advice

I wondered if someone might be able to help me in giving me some advice on choosing a new telescope? I currently have a starter telescope which is a skywatcher 130mm reflector on a EQ2 mount that I've been using this for the last 6 months and looking to get something which will give me greater detail, a larger range of objects and tracking.

I'm interested in observing deep space and planetary, as well as doing some astrophotography with a DSLR to start, but would also like to do CCD imaging at some point.

I understand that there is not one telescope that can cover all ranges, but although I'm a just starting out at astronomy I would like to get something that I can use for many years to come and at some point I could also look at a few different scopes for different areas as well.

I am unsure of which size and type and will need to take it outside each time I observe. I have a budget of around £2,500, but may be able to move with it slightly.

I've been looking at a few different types, but these were the ones that caught my eye, but I could be going in the wrong direction.

Celestron: CPC 925 XLT Schmidt-Cassegrain

Or CPC 1100 XLT Schmidt-.Cassegrain

Or possibly the CPC Delux HD 800

Celestron: CGEM 925 Schmidt-Cassegrain

Or CGEM 1100 Schmidt-Cassegrain

I was starting to lean towards either the CPC 925 or 1100 and understand that to do long exposures I will need to use a wedge of some sorts (not sure how easy and hassle this is to do) when I saw there is a new Celestron NexStar Evolution 925 coming out which doesn't help in making a decision as that could also be a possibility!

Any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated as still very novice in trying to understand all the equipment and differences in what it does!

There is no scope that is amazing at observing and imaging. You can get a scope that is decent at both but most will agree that that is not what you want to aim for. The most important thing in imaging is the mount. Yes you can image with a wedge if you scope is on a fork mount but its not the best or easiest. Because of this most people tend to have two complete setups. One for imaging and one for observing.

For imaging you will want an EQ mount. You can also observe with an EQ mount but you can't do both at the same time on the same mount. Hence why most people go with two setups. The other typ of mount is the Alt/Az mount which is very very very limiting for imaging and most just stay away from it all together.

So I will suggest a couple options that I think will suit you best:

1) Go with two setups. One for light a Light AP setup and one that is heavily focused on observing. For this I would suggest a 8-10" Dob for observing and then an ED80 on a HEQ5 for AP. (Look for second hand equipement and that can sve you a lot of money. This can apply everywhere.)

2) Go with two setups. This one heavily focused on AP with HEQ5/6 with an ED80 and a guiding setup. For observing use get a 6-8" Dob or keep your current scope and buy a CG-5 or the new AVX mount that has GOTO.

3) If you are really wanting one of the SCT I would really suggest not using it to start your imaging hobby. Because of their long focal lengths it is very very difficult and requires a solid mount. So if you are dead set one one that you want to use for observing AND imaging (later on once you have some experince in AP) then I would suggest the 8" EdgeHD on a EQ6 mount. The mount is over kill for observing but not for imaging. Sell you current kit and get a used CG-5 or new AVX with an ED80 to start your AP side of the hobby.

Also buy the book Make Every Photon Count. It will really explain what you are getting into.

Hi. This is a huge question that you have posed. I'll cover a few things off but others will chip in too. Firstly there is no all singing all dancing scope as you say. You mention observing and imaging. For the former the requirements can be quite different to those of the latter. For imaging, I would strongly advise you bias your research and budget to your mount. You will need a good quality equatorial mount capable of stable tracking and carrying your scope and the add ons. For observing you can go the best bang for your buck route and get a Dob mounted OTA. The scopes you mention are long fl scopes that will give you narrow FOV great for planets and some DSO but not so much other stuff.

Check out the beginner help threads on here for advice on first time purchases. Yes I own a 9.25 SCT and image planets with it but would I recommend it as a DSO imager. Not really.

Thank nmoushon and Owmuchonomy for your ideas, gives me some other areas to look at especially going with a good mount and two different scopes and also the types to look at! Think I was being drawn in to the nice looking all in one SCT!

I had also been looking at this DOB which might be an idea then from your comments to focus on observing and then look at a different mount and scope for AP.

Skywatcher: SkyLiner 250PX FlexTube SynScan GO-TO Telescope or SkyLiner 300P FlexTube SynScan GO-TO Telescope

The CPC is a fabulous scope - I've had two and would never part with my current one. The big benefit is that it's just so convenient and easy to use - just plonk it on the tripod, switch on, wait for 30 mins to cool down and get a satellite lock and away you go. And star alignment is a piece of cake - you don't even need to know the names of the alignment stars, any bright ones will do. They are heavy though so you need to watch your back when lifting the ota and forks combined.

With a focal reducer and a wedge they're fine for imaging - but it's a little more involved setting up and probably better suited to an obsy for that - but highly portable for alt/az use in the field. If you have a range of scopes for different purposes - you can get a more flexible set up buy getting a CGEM and (eg) a 925 ota. The Celestron Sct's all have the same ota (at each respective size) whether fork mounted or equatorial. So you're guaranteed the same quality views whichever mounting you choose.

I'd choose a faster refractor for imaging dso's though - and for that an equatorial mount is pretty much essential. So for future proofing and longevity you can satisfy current needs with an sct on an eq mount - and treat yourself later to a half decent imaging scope when budget allows. Or - do the lot at once using the second hand market - you can just about do it with £2.5k - there are some great bargains out there if you know what you're looking for. Hth :)

Thanks for all your advice, I've had a good think and as you have said for future proofing I think I will go with a EQ Mount, possibly the CGEM or maybe EQ6, though still trying to decide between the two.

Think I will look at a OTA either Celestron 9.25 OTA or 925 Edge HD (though would have save up a bit longer for the hd!)

Then look at adding a ED80 at a later date for imaging to use with the same mount .

Hopefully that will be a good setup going forward!?

Also is the Celestron star sense a good bit of kit and would it be of use for imaging with a CGEM or EQ6 or would it not be of much benefit with them (not too sure of what it does!)

Archived