NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Refractor or Reflector?

Hi all.

Ive not posted for a while. The misses had a brain hemorage so ive been looking after her and family.

I mention that only because i was in a possition to order my 250px when this happened and so, in caring for her, my funds went.

However, im now saving again for that 250px but the Evostar 120 on EQ5 has caught my eye... i wud go for the 150 but even though the misses is ill... she would still have summat to say on me spending £800 on a scope... lmao.

Advice greatly recieved.

Very sorry to hear what has happened.

The Evostar 150 is a BIG beast I had one for a few weeks and didnt even bother to set it up as i know it was not going to be viable, If you can get to a local show room (if one exisits) a hands on look is of great help.

Refractor / Newt / SCT / Mak / Obscure others all have there strengths and weaknesses there really is no right or wrong it just depends on what you want to do with it.

Thanx for the concern.

My closest showroom is in sheffield. Im in Grimsby, so about an hour n halfs drive. At the moment its all ideas but a trip out would be usefull to actually see tge set ups and sizes.

Thanks for the advice Earl

Hi Andy78,

Good advice from Earl and as you said visit a showroom. At least it gives you an idea of scale of things, where to store it, is it portable for one person to setup, do I build an observatory etc. Then there are things like mounts, accessories and other add-ons, maintenance etc to consider.

Buying a 'scope is a bit like computer O/S. You never find the 'perfect' one that does all! I use DOS (M$-DOS, PC-DOS & FreeDOS), M$-Windows 3.1x to Vista, OS/2, Linux and just recently Mac OS X.

My thoughts are with you and Mrs Andy78.

Thankyou Jim and Philip.

With rest and rehab/physio the mrs will be ok. Just gunna take a while. But thankyou for your thoughts.

I will probably go down the dob route as my heart lies more there. But will go to the showroom to play lol.

Archived