C/2012 k1 Panstarrs effort

Here is my rough effort from last night. This is proving to be a tougher task than I originally hoped but mainly due to my wide field rustiness more than anything.

The first night I had 2 1/2 hours worth of subs with the comet bang in the middle tossed because it was out of focus. Last night my first mini sighting run was successful which is what this pic is from but it was only 7 and a half minutes worth. I then repositioned and shot for nearly 2 hours but somehow managed to miss the comet all together. :BangHead:

There was also hazy cloud which hasn't helped noise wise.

So basically it's all coming together to get a good run eventually as I wont make the same mistakes 3 times in a row, maybe. :D

Anyway this is seven and a half minutes of 30 second exposures with a 75-300mm zoom at 300mm, darks added, ISO 1600 on the Polarie.

Things to try the next chance I get are to up the exposures to a minute(not too taxing on the Polarie), much longer session, possibly try with the OIII filter? and centre the damn thing.

Overall I'm happy as it's the second real comet pic I have taken and it's certainly definable.

post-8383-0-18283200-1398675787_thumb.jp

post-8383-0-74874100-1398675789_thumb.jp

Archived