NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Decisions Decisions! help me!

I've now been playing with my old HX516 Parallel CCD for over a year and last nights efforts are now not too bad (I will post later) however it's now time to move on.

My kit is now EQ6 pro mount, guiding with a QHY5 and PHD, imaging scope Orion ED80. With this I can often get 10 minute subs. But my ccd can be a pain to use as it keeps failing, small etc. I've got Maxim and Astroart.

Could anyone give me advice on what to go for. I'm struggling to decide on the DSLR/CCD route or Mono vs OSC. I've a budget of up to £400.

The options are

1) a Atik 16IC either the colour or mono version (would need to get filters;- more cost)

2) A second hand Starlight MX7-C (a USB version in going for £325 on Astronomy UK)

3) A modified Canon 350d from Astromods (currently £350)

(having seen steveL stunning images :- the markarain's chain is exceptional I would like a QHY8; still dream on)

All comments welcome as this money is now burning a hole in my pocket

Rob

I suppose it depends on your targets really, and your light pollution. I struggle with OSC (DSLR) stuff due to colour casts caused by light pollution, but using the mono Atik16HR and a narrowband filter gets round all the light pollution easily. I still use the Nikon for big stuff like M42 and M45 when the Atik can't get the image scale.

Kaptain Klevtsov

Archived