NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First night with M51

So i think I found the M51. I live in an area that is moderately light polluted. I have an Orion AstroView 120ST (120mm aperture) telescope. I attempted to view the Whirlpool galaxy and managed to make out a faint point of light, using averted vision it was a slight fuzz in my 25 mm eyepiece. Does this sound like M51? i know i was definitely in the right area of the sky judging by my star charts

That is more than likely it. There isn't much else bright nearby.

It will be worth revisiting now at you know where it is, on a good night, you may just catch the companion mag 9.6 NGC5195 which forms the slightly fainter of the double core.

Paul

That is more than likely it. There isn't much else bright nearby.

It will be worth revisiting now at you know where it is, on a good night, you may just catch the companion mag 9.6 NGC5195 which forms the slightly fainter of the double core.

Paul

it hardly looked like more than a faint star with a slight fuzz around it, Im guessing this is because of my small aperture and proximity to New York City.

It does have a very bright core for a galaxy which would suggest that you a looking at the right fuzzy blob.

NY isn't going to help with the galaxy hunting! Any galaxy is a good catch if there is light pollution around. What sort of magnitude stars can you see without your scope?

Paul

Archived