Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

what aperture size?

well The assignment I am working on currently for the lab portion of my class involves us using a star charting software and mapping out the stars in the constellation Orion, since I have missed one week (the other week was a holiday), I have started doing the assignment on my own and will miss the majority of the class tomorrow for a school related function. (I will provide documenation and hopefully be allowed to make up the time lost from class). anyways this is pretty much what I must do for each star in the constellation : Temperature(kelvin), Absolute Magnitude, luminosty, apparent magnitude, distance (light years) Radius, Spectral type and the luminosity class. I can already just glance up at the sky on any given night so far and name about 7 constellations and some of their brighter stars and what type they are. I do use the GoSkyWatch app on my iphone and ipad so that has helped alot with this one assignment and saturday is the camping trip. I am excited because my instructors seem eager to check out my telescope I use currently and hopefully help me find which one will better suit me. one says the dob is better while the other suggests one on an eq mount. 

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whatever you decide on for an upgrade be careful or you will end up like me and get aperture fever  :grin:.

Started with the 130SLT and then got a 10" dob. Should have went with the 12" but maybe a year or so sown the road I will invest in a real monster and maybe get a 14" or bigger. (If the wifey lets me.)

Yeah I did write down a few models that I liked within the budget my hubby set for me (he literally would spoil me) and next week he says he's gonna order one of the telescopes for me. :) I'm happy but at the same time eager to know which one he will select to buy for me. (I think he may have set something up with my relative though) either way I know within a few weeks I will have my new telescope and after I try it out a few times (probably every night That has clear viewing)without the filters and eye pieces I will get the eyepieces

Archived