Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Objects drift out of view in Sky Safari

TwoPi

Sorry if I'm being a bit dim, but when I zoom right in to an object I find that it fairly quickly drifts out of view on the screen. This is particularly obvious if I'm zoom into a section of the moon that I'm currently observing.

I've got the compass mode switched off and the object selected. I guess it's keeping the alt / az constant and so the object appears to move because that's what happens in real life!

Is there a way of switching on 'tracking mode' so the object stays centred on the screen?

Thanks,

Aaahhhh, I see. Ok, if I search for the Moon and then press Centre followed by the + button to zoom in, you're absolutely right Knobby, it does indeed stay put.

However, if I then pan (ever so slightly), for example to a different crater on the Moon, it immediately starts to drift. Which I suppose makes sense: it thinks you're no longer interested in the Moon.

I also notice that if I use the 'two fingered pinch' to zoom in, it drifts straight away. If I press Centre again it stops.

Does your Android version do the same thing and if so, I guess this is a limitation? It's a shame, because it makes it fairly difficult to observe the Moon at high magnification and relate what I'm seeing to Sky Safari, unless I constantly correct the drift - which gets annoying after 30 seconds!

Archived