Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

12' Meade LX90-ACF vs 11' Celestron CGEM DX 1100 - The Cassegrain battle

I've narrowed my choices to the two aforementioned options. 

The LX90 uses the same optics as the 12' LX200, which people seem to love around here.

Here are some of the specifications: 12' F/10 ACF optics - 3048mm focal length, Ultra-High Transmission Coating (UHTC). - Comes with 30,000+ object database GoTo system, and a standard Meade tripod.

The Celestron CGEM DX 1100 also seems to get good ratings.

Here are some of the specs: 11' f/10 optics, - 2800mm focal length, XTC coatings. - Comes with 40,000+ GoTo system, and a equatorial mount.

Both "scopes" are in my updated price range of around $3,000. - I don't want a Dob, they are hard to move and are (obviously) large. 

I plan to skip on astro-photography, but still want a telescope tripod capable of some shots. It appears like the Celestron would win this category.

My guess is that the LX90 has superior optics, coming from the respected LX200. - The Celestron should still have great optics nevertheless.

Please help chose a winner, or give me other options. Thanks in advance. - Mike Ennamorato

Buy a Meade OTA and put it on an NEQ6pro mount - best of both worlds.

The LX90 forks are OK for visual but not for AP - and a wedge for a 12" OTA is not cheap. (AP with forks is also quite difficult due to vibration)

I know it is harder to set up an EQ, but once the learning curve is over.... you'll be able to do some excellent work.

Buy a Meade OTA and put it on an NEQ6pro mount - best of both worlds.

The LX90 forks are OK for visual but not for AP - and a wedge for a 12" OTA is not cheap. (AP with forks is also quite difficult due to vibration)

I know it is harder to set up an EQ, but once the learning curve is over.... you'll be able to do some excellent work.

Thank you very much! - I think the Meade mount seems relatively cheap myself.

I don't think that Meade sells OTAs without a mount, but I can look. - The NEQ6 mount is only sold in the UK, there are many like it here though.

Thank you very much! - I think the Meade mount seems relatively cheap myself.

I don't think that Meade sells OTAs without a mount, but I can look. - The NEQ6 mount is only sold in the UK, there are many like it here though.

Unless I purchase a LX600 based OTA, which be more expensive.

Archived