NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Eq north align failing help!!!!!

Ever since I got my wedge I'm trying eq north align and then auto align,then set to index and find to stars but it's way off even the first star and always fails,I'm starting to lose interest after spending so much money,pls pls pls help so I don't,it was so much easier without the wedge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the Meade kit, it comes up alt/az? or eq? set it to eq and it will be right.

When you are setting up, the wedge should be pointing at the celestial pole (perpendicular to the plne of the wedge)

When you place the scope and forks on the wedge, the OTA should be pointing also directly at the pole, so that the wedge, the forks and the axis of the scope are in the same alignment.

Do not point the scope level to the ground.

As PF2000 says you will probably have to change the mount from Alt/Az to Eq in the handset otherwise the OTA will try and ram itself into the mount at some time.

It may actually be easier to redo your actual location or hit the reset option. I say that as I had to do that on one of mine.

Do you need to change the handset setting to eq by any chance as I'm sure the scope is normally fixed as sidereal, check the handset settings under utilities.

hi pro,yeah thx for replying,yes it set in sidereal when it's turned on,is that not what I want I take it lol,what setting should it be on

On the Meade kit, it comes up alt/az? or eq? set it to eq and it will be right.

When you are setting up, the wedge should be pointing at the celestial pole (perpendicular to the plne of the wedge)

When you place the scope and forks on the wedge, the OTA should be pointing also directly at the pole, so that the wedge, the forks and the axis of the scope are in the same alignment.

Do not point the scope level to the ground.

hi thx for the reply,I might sound silly but I'm a noob but I have the wedge and mount pointing to the pole but on a couple of utube videos it said to set to alt index markers after that which puts my scope pointing to the sky but opposite as in south,any tips

Since the markers are just for your convenience, in this case I'd ignore them. It's the hardware you need to worry about. The indicators are just so much painting on the side. Much like a full mark on a pint of beer.

Which model of scope is it? Is it the CPC? I put mine on a wedge and the index markers are actually quite important for polar aligning it. Though not 100% accurate, they do form a reference point for the orientation of the scope and the start point for the motors/encoders.

You need to set the markers and then physically jack the wedge up so it points the finder and the main scope at the pole star (they must be aligned together prior to this). Ensure the mount is set to EQ North and the rate is sidereal. After ten mins the gps will have found it's position from three satellites and you can do a three star align.

Then send the scope to the pole star using goto. It will be close but wrong - then alter the alignment manually using the alt/az and elevation bolts. When you start the procedure the main tube will be parallel to the forks if you've used the index markers correctly - the scope will be pointing at the pole, and the wedge will be behind (or due south). Make sure there's a leg under the wedge or it will tip over.

Finally switch off and on again and - wait a few mins for the gps and redo the star alignment - then you'll be good to go. :)

As you will realising the different scopes appear to consider the markers important ot not-important. Sounds as if Celestrons do actually need them to be reasonable, I know on my Meades they are close to utterly irrelevant, if I recall CL said they have Meades also.

On a Meade when you undo the clutch the markers disk will freely rotate, so you can either set it to something meaningful or play a form of roulette. Meades do seem to be workable with little knowledge of anything.

You will need to align the wedge as best you can, as there is as best I know nothing to aid you other then your eyes and good guesswork. So do not expect it to be a 20 second exercise, although I have never used a wedge so could be wrong, but I cannot see alignment being "simple". I assume there is no such item as a polarscope for it, and cannot think of anything else to use as a "sight".

As Brandt says make sure there is a leg behind the wedge, on Meades this can mean turning the mount around so that the N leg points South.

Which model of scope is it? Is it the CPC? I put mine on a wedge and the index markers are actually quite important for polar aligning it. Though not 100% accurate, they do form a reference point for the orientation of the scope and the start point for the motors/encoders.

You need to set the markers and then physically jack the wedge up so it points the finder and the main scope at the pole star (they must be aligned together prior to this). Ensure the mount is set to EQ North and the rate is sidereal. After ten mins the gps will have found it's position from three satellites and you can do a three star align.

Then send the scope to the pole star using goto. It will be close but wrong - then alter the alignment manually using the alt/az and elevation bolts. When you start the procedure the main tube will be parallel to the forks if you've used the index markers correctly - the scope will be pointing at the pole, and the wedge will be behind (or due south). Make sure there's a leg under the wedge or it will tip over.

Finally switch off and on again and - wait a few mins for the gps and redo the star alignment - then you'll be good to go. :)

hi yeah it's cpc 9.25,oh right I was having the wedge pointing north and when I had the markers set,the scope was pointing south,I take I that is wrong way then then lol

im so sorry but I'm not getting this,the bit where u say the scope will be parallel if I use the markers correctly,do u mean after I goto pole star but b4 that when I first set the markers the scope will be at 90 degrees pointing south

• 4 years later...

Hi,

i know it’s stupid, but it’s the only way alignment will work. (Assuming you did an ok rough nitro align of your mount) 

you need the scope to be facing north before turning on and aligning. 

Meaning look at the base where the ports and everything is, that should be facing north. 

You can also verify by seeing that the remote is on the right side, if you are behind the scope and looking at the north star

Archived