NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Best ways to observe Mercury and Venus?

Perene

Guys, in what time of the day you can get the best views from both planets? After and before which period of the day you can really start to see them?

Can you share some experience observing and recording both planets with different telescopes?

What can you achieve using a Maksutov 90mm (focal lenght is 1250)? I have, besides the 25/10mm oculars, one with 40 and other called Ultra Wide (6mm, 66 AFOV, 14,8mm eye relief).

In the future I am thinking of getting a dobsonian model, with at least 200m or perhaps 250mm aperture. What would be the gain while observing both planets? I saw the benefits for other planets such as Mars, Jupiter and Saturn, but I have yet to see enough tests with Mercury and Venus.

I was lucky to catch Venus last month just before sunrise Mercury is on my "to View" list but not an easy one due to its position near the sun
being you are in Brazil I've no idea of the best time for you but I run Stellarium through a sequence of days / weeks to find when will be the best time to view objects

Assuming you have a goto scope or can locate the planets in the daytime. If they are morning planets then mid-morning when they are at their highest, and mid-afternoon when they are evening planets. You may be able to get better seeing than peering through the low atmosphere at dawn or dusk, and the brighter background may aid in seeing contrast features on those planets. I think that it can be easier to see features on the planets when there's less glare.

Sent from my GT-I9295 using Tapatalk

I was able to locate both of them in Stellarium but the best time to locate Venus was between 03:00-06:00 AM. I don't think either of them can be seen in a different period, and Mercury only appeared around 4, 5 AM, and stiill for a very brief period.

Am I correct to assume both of them can only be seen in such periods? At least this is what Stellarium is telling me, for my location.

I've a feeling that Venus won't be especially favourable all year for us owls - it's only around in the morning skies this year and has already passed its greatest western elongation. Early 2015 it's going to be an evening object, so I won't be seeking it out until then.

Mercury is a bit of a tricksy one. I've had it a telescope once when I was a teenager and it was at an especially favourable greatest eastern elongation. According to TL@O the next elongation will be May 25th - it's not especially favourable according to Stellarium, but with a good clear horizon you could get lucky. Take care looking for it though because you don't want to get an eyeful of sun.

DD

The best views of Mercury that I have ever had was when viewing it during the day high up in the sky.  You must be especially mindful of the Sun though!  The only time I have ever seen details on Mercury has been when I have viewed it during the daytime.

Archived