NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

12.5mm Tak brief first solar light

jetstream

The Tak 12.5mm ortho arrived today and I have just  given it a go on the sun.After playing around with magnifications this past while it seemed that a 12mm-13mm EP should provide a sweet spot with my 90mm f7 refractor.What a great view the Tak has just provided,bigger looking granulation,the faculae are still excellent and the sunspots as sharp as can be.Today the scope gave glimpses of a crackled sun surface filled with fine granules.The 12.5mm has given me a sharper,better view than the 10mm Ethos-and the Ethos is very good.

I have also been playing around with my filters,these things can make a difference.The UV/IR cut filter seems to make the granulation "pop" out,eventhough it really should make no difference for visual.The Beloptic + !6mm Nagler and 12.5mm Tak gave the best views I have had ever,and the seeing is not optimum.This filter is doing something,just not sure how.

In the coming days/nights a better comparison will be done,but I already know this TAO is excellent and a keeper.

Gerry,

Nice report, they sound pretty good, I may have to try one.

You should try one of the Vixen SLV's,  pretty amazing results.  I am thinking of getting a higher power below 6mm for use with the Pronto and the Herschel wedge. :smiley:

Yes the orthos suit me for some types of observing,the 12.5mm worked nicely today.How do the SLV's compare to the Delos?I have the 6mm and 8mm Delos and have been filling in gaps with orthos which do a good job in both the dob and small frac.

Gerry,

The view through the eyepiece is a lot closer call than it should be for the difference in the price, the field of view is very different between the two thus making it a little difficult to compare side by side.

For example, in my scope Jupiter is the same size in the 25mm SLV as it is in the 17.3mm and both are on par for clarity, which I find quite surprising given the difference in magnification, both coming in at about 0.53 degrees. Can magnification and FOV cancel each other out in this instance ?

The contrast through the 9mm SLV is better than the 10mm Delos on the Sun (Lunt 60mm) and is my preferred eyepiece along with the Nagler 3-6mm zoom (TV pronto & Herschel wedge)

The 10mm SLV may be even better and would be worth a try as I understand 10mm is the preferred size for Solar viewing.

Greater FOV and build quality favour the Delos, this does not mean the SLV's are of a poor quality, far from it, they are put together very well. The weight favours the SLV's for balance purposes.

Hope this helps - very close call

Right now I have above avg sky conditions and the 12.5mm Tak is outstanding,I wonder just how good this set up can get.If the SLV can best these orthos then they are one heck of an EP.The Tak & KK orthos are parfocal(12.5mm & 5mm,7mm) and the coatings look very similar,the Tak may be a bit darker and the eyecup/recessed lens are a great addition.The Delos are excellent EP's but on the sun in white light they do not seem to excell to my eyes,no granulation & very limited faculae.These features are visible in my higher power orthos ie 5mm & 7mm KK.Back to the sun......

If my plans come to fruition I will get a 4 or 5mm SLV in the near future and I will be able to do a side by side comparison with the -6mm Nagler.

What eye relief  do the Taks have ?

Not sure about the eyerelief,but the 5mm & 7mm are tight,the 12.5mm not so bad,the eyecup really helps.I honestly don't like my zoom for solar either...but for some things it works well at times-bright Jupiter,I think the lower transmission/warm caste helps depending on the sky.I'm trying to figure out what I'm seeing around the sunspots right now....some brighter stuff...excellent sky Shaun

I wish I was there with you Gerry. I sincerely hope it stays that way for you.

Nothing but thick grey cloud here I'm afraid :smiley:  We were blessed with quite a nice night on Friday so its not all bad. However, the sun has not shone here in earnest for a week.

The more the merrier Shaun!Sure is nice to have a clear warm day,the view is excellent-2 1/2 hours in so far and the sky may hold for tonight,but I see some cloud over in the southern horizon.I want to try the 12.5mm out on M51 too.Sorry to here about the weather there,hopefully it will clear soon for you guys.

I'm thinking I saw plage,but not sure

Don't tempt me, I would leave the UK like a bullet if it wasn't for all the commitments I have amassed  :smiley:

I believe the Plage is the bright areas that surround sunspots, where your "eyelashes" end :grin: I see them quite often, beautiful things.

I would like to see the potential of a 3d effect with a double stack but I am torn between buying the 50mm extention or a new 100mm refractor

Plage it is!Another very bright patch found with a single black pore in it about 20 deg above the other.Great views today,but now trees in the way,and my wife won't let me cut down any more!lol!The weather here can be great-but unpredictable in the extreme-worst winter in memory this year.Spring should be great,snow melting nicely now.

Well I'm in the process of trying to figure out which Ha direction to go-more aperture single stack vs less aperture double stack....vs PST mod in a donor refractor-going to take a while.If possible I would try to view through the double stack,while good I hear it can induce a sweet spot in your Lunt 60-but maybe not an issue.I now have EP's that will work great for white light/Ha-first step for me

Lovely report, Gerry and it's good to hear you like the new ortho. I find them outstanding eyepieces to have and truly feel everyone should have a couple in their eyepiece collection. How you getting on with the polarizer filter. Do you feel it is helping your views?

Lovely report, Gerry and it's good to hear you like the new ortho. I find them outstanding eyepieces to have and truly feel everyone should have a couple in their eyepiece collection. How you getting on with the polarizer filter. Do you feel it is helping your views?

Hello Qualia!The polarizer filter has its place I'm finding as I gain more experience in solar viewing and switching up the EP's and filters.I find the sun changes quite a bit day to day and hour to hour -and with me chasing the best views-that are coming along nicely.The polarizer works best for me with the 18mm BCO and 16mm Nagler for viewing the faculae and plage and at times makes a big difference,adding depth to the view.Most times now however I use the UV/IR cut filter that retains the faculae/plage but really seems to "pop" out the granulation.No idea why this filter would work for visual.

I have to say that I'm fortunate to have a collection of EP's now that excell for solar.I basically try them all( 18,mm,16mm,12.5mm) with filters and without.Between them the fine "salt and pepper" granulation look is apparent all the time seeing considered and the views of the faculae can be amazing,crackling across the surface.... :smiley:

Archived