How does it all stack up?

Hi again all you stargazer types out there!

I would appreciate you help and input on my next challenge in the imaging dept. for novices. To capture some cool night sky images using a webcam with usb connection to my tablet thingy and process it all through any stacking stacking software stuff via my pc. I also gather this uses masses amount of memory and not straight forward.

Not sure what quality cam to get or what/which stacking software will be best for my beginner's purposes.

I'd love to get a grip, a focus and make it all stack up so, if possible, without breaking the bank  so please advise. :smiley:

Autostackert 2 

PIPPS

Registax 

have these installed on your PC, yes some are memory intensive, but

what you get in return is worth it. 

PIPPS : we use this to center objects like planets, solar and lunar, we also use it to make our images smaller in size if need be ( cropping)

Autostackert : this is a stacking program it takes your pictures/film lines them all up and outputs a final image of all the pictures layered up.

Registax : this is a bit like autostackert, but it comes with Wavelets, after stacking and aligning we are given a chance to adjust the image

it takes all those pictures/film finds the best images and stacks only them. it then lets you play with those images via slider bars

to bring out your detail in those stacked images.

Cameras : a few quid to over 100 pounds for a webcam. 

for a starter everyone has praised the Xbox live cam. its cheap and works well for starting out.

second on the list would be a microsoft lifecam studio/cinema these to produce some very nice footage but in HD

last and the holy grail is the SPC900 , this webcam is full moddabled, and will allow the user to custom set exposure time,

unlike any other webcam on the market, BUT these cameras are discontinued and fetch a demanding price second hand.

I would advise a Xbox live webcam to start with, very cheap and if the newcomer makes a mistake does not break the bank.

with webcams your restricted to planetary work

It will also depend on your telescope and mount what type of results you will get

you will also need decent storage to capture, in one hour I captured 60gb of data on Jupiter
most of which I binned due to cloud or other issues

you will need capture software
the 2 most common used are Firecapture and Sharpcap (google both) and they are free

Autostackert 2 

PIPPS

Registax 

have these installed on your PC, yes some are memory intensive, but

what you get in return is worth it. 

PIPPS : we use this to center objects like planets, solar and lunar, we also use it to make our images smaller in size if need be ( cropping)

Autostackert : this is a stacking program it takes your pictures/film lines them all up and outputs a final image of all the pictures layered up.

Registax : this is a bit like autostackert, but it comes with Wavelets, after stacking and aligning we are given a chance to adjust the image

it takes all those pictures/film finds the best images and stacks only them. it then lets you play with those images via slider bars

to bring out your detail in those stacked images.

Ck.

Many thanks for your advise.

Re: Registax .........I see their are versions 1 to 6 for free download on various websites. Do I need to download all versions or just v5 & v6?

I've downloaded Registax v5 and I get the following message before I attempt to run it.

'Do you want to allow the following program from an unknown publisher to make changes to this computer?'

I currently  use Win 7 so I'm wondering whether the Registax download is for, perhaps, Win XP and needs to reconfigure my pc.  

Archived