NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Has anyone tried a Celestron SkyScout GPS Star Locater?

Hi folks, I was just browsing the web and came across the "Celestron SkyScout GPS Star Locater" and was just wondering if anyone has used this? And would I be able to fix it to a 8" Dob to help me find things in the night sky? Looking at it, it looks quite large to be fixed to the front end of the scope but I was thinking of half way down tube for it to be a bit more stable.

I take it you mean the planetarium thingy. If so, yeah I have one although to be honest I don't use it much as I tend to use google star map to find and identify things.

However, it's a nicely made thing. GPS can take a while and has a pretty large library and it has 'tours' of 'tonight's highlights'. It's not too heavy but I would put it nearer the middle of the tube rather than the front end. It has no magnification though so don't think it will double as a finderscope.  Think of it as a GOTO for your hand.

All in all whilst it is a novel 'toy' I don't think it's worth the money new although they pop up on ebay now and then and usually go for around the £90 mark. If you're fairly competent at finding things then you will probably tire of it pretty quickly. I did and much prefer the mobile app and a good star atlas.

Archived