SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Imaging with a f5 Newt.

I'm currently saving up for an Astrophotography setup.

I've been looking into mount/scope combo's.

I know the best way is to get an ED refractor with a focal reducer but I've also been looking at the Celestron AVX scopes. The 8" newtonian on the AVX mount is offered at a reasonable price. It's an f5 so is plently fast enough for me.

Was thinking of getting this to start out as my 127 Mak is too slow for DSO's and has the wrong mount for long subs.

I could then use the mount for an ED I the future when I've got some more money together. The mount is big enough for what I want and portable enough.

I will then also have a bigger scope for obs too.

Someone suggested to me to buy the iOptron ZEQ25 GT for portability with WO71 GT or equivalent on it.

I do travel a bit so want it portable but don't need it that pertable for any airline travel, just so it can fit in the car with luggage for weekends in Scotland etc.

Any further suggestions I've not thought of?

If your total imaging rig weight is under 30 pounds go with the ZEQ25GT with the standard issued tripod.It has never failed me yet in the field.For $799 dollars you'd be hard pressed to find better even at twice the price. I've been reading about all kinds of issues people are having with the AVX series since it came out and personally speaking i would steer clear of it. 

Total rig weight will be very low.

I'll be using my Nikon D5100 DSLR as I won't use my MacBook.

I have looked at the iOptron ZEQ25 GT and it looks like a very capable mount.

Then I'll just have to worry about what ED to put onto it.

I had browsed the Explore Scientific Triplets as they seem good value for money but don't know anyone who has one. Not seen any images taken through one either.

Always thought bigger is better aperture wise but that is only for visual use isn't it?

Just thought the 8" newt would give better images as its much bigger than an ED refractor.

There is a great picture of m101 in the "beginners getting started with imaging" section. Taken with a skywatcher 200p flex tube dobsonian. Awesome use of 30 second stacked exposures. It gives me encouragement as this is the exact same scope as mine. Richard

Archived