1 Year to go for the Faroe Island's Total Solar Eclipse!

Greetings SGL members. :)

Today, the 20'th of March 2014, marks the 1 Year Countdown for the Faroe Island's Total Solar eclipse in 2015 (also visible in Svalbard.)

As I am a local to the islands, an astrophotographer & astronomy nut, I am of course extremely psyched for this event!

I took some pictures this morning in my home town, Vestmanna, for the occasion between 9:30-10:30am (totality will start around 9:41 and last over 2 minutes) or 9:41:21-9:44:05 according to Stellarium from my GPS location (no idea how accurate that is. ;))

Took pictures with my smartphone, DSLR & quadcopter.

Flickr album

I am also working on a timelapse that I'll post later on.

There have also been some people at the Faroe Islands this month from The Independant Traveler to find the ideal observing spot for the eclipse & to talk to the local tourist centres. They are checking weather conditions & such for the a large group coming to the Faroe Islands next year lead by Dr Kate Russo. I haven't met them personally yet, but hope to catch up with them before they leave the islands.

I got extremely excited this morning when the skies opened up & the sun shone unobstructed throughout the entire "event", even though there wasn't anything to see. Today would've been a good day to have the solar eclipse. ;)

Fingers crossed that the weather is as good in a year's time!

Indeed, it's a gamble with those damn clouds! However as I've understood it, there are also going to be some people that are going to take to the sky and view the event from above the clouds. I wonder how expensive that is!

Archived